Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question Itchy Skin on Dogs

Hi - I'm new to this website.

I have a question & am looking for help. I'm at my wits end. Any dog that come into my yard starts to itch within several hours of being there. We have balmed the entire house 3 times in the last 4 months. I have sprayed the entire 1/2 acre with insecticide 4 times in the last 6 months. I have also sprayed with a fungicide twice. All my 8 dogs have flea protection on them which we do every 3 weeks. I have spent a ton of money at the vets (their coats are shiny & healthy - no hot spots) They are not sure what it is. I have tried the expensive Dynovit which didn't help. I bath them every 4 days with Apple cider vinegar, lavender, & citrus oils to help give them some relief of the constant itching.

This has been going on for 4 years. The only thing new is the neighbor next door moved in with 4 big pot belly pigs.

Someone please Help!!!!

Thanks
    LA4698

Re: Itchy Skin on Dogs

to the forum. If the problem is with your "yard" (I assume you mean your back garden, if you are American), and you have tried all these chemicals to no effect, then the cause of the itching is something different than fleas.

Is it hot in your area? In that case, you could have a problem with harvest mites. I believe that they are called chiggers in the USA. They are microscopic in size, so without a magnifying glass you might even miss them (so might your vet). Note that spot-on treatments do not work. Some people use Frontline spray (not spot-on), but in general this does not work either. One thing you could try is 5% ascetic vinegar. This should be applied to troubled areas, but do not let your dog lick it off.

If you can get neem oil (search on Amazon), this is a quite good mite repellent. It also discourages fleas and ticks from settling on your dogs.

If all else fails, either search your dogs skin thoroughly with a very strong magnifying glass, or ask a vet to do it. You may find the cause is smaller than you think. Some biting bugs are not visible to the naked eye.

Every best wish to you!
    Last edited by LPC; 08-16-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Added missing word

An afterthought to the above: dimethicone is generally considered safe and is effective against most mites. In addition to the suggestions above, you should spray all your carpets and dog beds, etc. with a dimethicone product. It is safe for pet bedding and furniture (you can research it on Google).

Can't they get itchy from all that poison you spray around?

Yes, that is indeed a possibility. The neem I suggested is a natural plant product and is a repellent, not a chemical. Best to avoid chemical treatments.