Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Blog Entries

Things dogs see that we can't

Apparently, dogs see UV light very well (which humans don't)
    This results in some weird and wonderful visions!

http://barkpost.com/things-dogs-can-...zergnet_963849

How exactly true all this is I don't know. I guess scientists have come to those conclusions by noticing dogs see UV light more easily than humans, but it is interesting.

Re: Things dogs see that we can't

Love this thread! Fascinating information, Tobi. I loved this bit in the article you cited above:
    "Your dog would be better at spotting counterfeit money than you—if he had any idea what to look for. Not like he even understands what money is. He thinks treats grow on trees".

Blog Entries

haha! Some treats DO grow on trees! Misty discovered that apples grew on trees and used to make a grab for the low-lying ones. They made an excellent game at first -then a treat.

But seriously....dogs could be trained to find counterfeit money! If they have this UV vision skill. If they were given food treats or a game with a favourite toy or ball every time they saw the 'bad' banknotes....it would work.
    Last edited by Tobi; 08-02-2016 at 11:10 AM.

nice information! didnt know this!

Do you know if this has anything to do with the fact that dogs see less colors than humans?

I was fascinated by number 11 - dogs can see the Earth's magnetic field! I followed a link to http://stories.barkpost.com/discover...gnetic-fields/ which explains it further, though I'm not sure if it has been fully explained yet. I knew a lot of animals could detect the magnetic fields but being able to visually see them is something else!

Blog Entries

This may explain why many dogs can find their way hundreds of miles to a person's house, on routes they have never been before.

Dogs don't see things in black and white. In my childhood days people used to tell me that dogs don't see colors. But now I came to know that what I have been hearing all these years was incorrect.