Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Hey!

Hey!

Hey there guys, newcomer here name of Arlynine. I don't have any pets at the moment (does feeding street cats tuna fish on your front porch count as having pets though?) mostly I'm here because of the Wild Animal part of the forum. My dream is (at the moment at least) to be a researcher into animal behavior in the wild. Mostly I want to learn how they behave with one another in the pride or herd or family or whatever depending on the animal and to try to join that structure by copying the behavior I observe.

Re: Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Arlynine View Post
    I don't have any pets at the moment (does feeding street cats tuna fish on your front porch count as having pets though?) mostly I'm here because of the Wild Animal part of the forum. My dream is (at the moment at least) to be a researcher into animal behavior in the wild. Mostly I want to learn how they behave with one another in the pride or herd or family or whatever depending on the animal and to try to join that structure by copying the behavior I observe.
    Anyone who cares about animals and their welfare is welcome here. So - welcome!

How do you plan "to try to join that structure"?
    Last edited by LPC; 07-19-2016 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Typo

Hi Arlynine, welcome to the forum. I would be interested to hear how you plan to become a researcher too. Do you have any professional animal body you are looking to work with?

Well animal behavior is already being studied and there are several cases of humans being raised by animals and communicating with said animals with the 'language' of said animals. I want to go to college for zoology while volunteering with a big cat rescue in my state and get started there. After college i can get certificates (that's kinda weird tbh that you need a degree to get a certificate) in animal behavior which may suit my needs. My plans to join the structure are to spend a lot of time observing wild animals and seeing how they interact with each other, how they interact with newcomers to their group and look for patterns to decode the 'language' which could be a mixture of vocalizations and body language. Like with wild gorillas researchers have already found how to get close and be ignored by not making eye contact and making a low vocalization (a guttural groan) when passed by the lead silverback of the family group. That is a way of communicating with the animals. The main animals I am looking to focus on are either lions or gorillas. I have yet to decide.
    Last edited by Arlynine; 07-21-2016 at 12:48 AM. Reason: adding informationg

Welcome to the forum, dear Arlynine
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com