Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Dog waking up in the middle of the night several times

Hi all,
    I am experiencing a some difficulty with my dogs sleeping patterns lately. I had to go out of town for a few weeks and left my dog with a family friend. She was fine for the time she was there but ever since we brought her back (for the last 4 months or so) she has been waking us up 4-5 times a night to go outside. She hasn't gone to the toilet in the house luckily, but her behaviour has changed massively from those 2 weeks. I am trying to exercise her more regularly, so she sleeps through the night which has helped some but she still hasn't gone back to her usual sleeping patterns.

Has anyone experienced this at all? Would love some suggestions if you have any.

Re: Dog waking up in the middle of the night several times

I would think it likely that your absence for several weeks upset her more than you thought. Stress at separation can have long-lasting physical effects.

I can only suggest that you take her for a VERY long walk before going to sleep. If she is exhausted and has an absolutely empty bladder, this should help her to sleep.

Blog Entries

I agree with LPC.
    It sounds like she may have suffered some confusion and separation anxiety during your absence. Although I am sure she was very well looked after, dogs make deep bonds, and our Human ways sometimes throw them off-kilter! The problem is, you can't explain to a dog that you're going out of town and it won't be long before you're back. They only see that you have gone, and live each day as it comes. But they can become confused.

She may have slept with 'one eye open' all the time you were gone, and no-one knows, but she could have done. That's how loyal they are. She may be particularly sensitive emotionally.

Now she is trying to adjust to a new routine. As she gradually gets used to you being back, she should relax.

I agree that a good walk, with opportunities to pee and poop in the evening will help her, and decent walks and exercise during the day of course.

Next time you go away....maybe you could take her with you? I don't know....

However, bear in mind also that there COULD be physical reasons why she wants to pee so often in the night. If, for instance, she has cystitis. Sometimes physical causes can be behind what appear to be behavioural problems!
    You could take an early morning sample of her urine, and pop that into the vet for analysis.
    Last edited by Tobi; 04-03-2016 at 07:06 PM.

Hi LPC and Tobi,

I have been taking her for longer walks but she is a bit older now so generally I tend to take her to the park and throw the ball around a little. She doesn't love the idea of walking for long periods. Although she does get tired out when we go to the park, and goes to the toilet, she still tends to wake up in the middle of the night a few times (however it has improved since my last post)

Tobi, you are right I hadn't thought that it could be something other than separation anxiety. I will take a sample into the vet. We are about due for our yearly check up any ways and I was planning on taking her in regardless for a full check up.

I she has seemed to improve a lot now that I am exercising her more, so I hope it won't be anything serious.

Thank you for your help!

Blog Entries

Aw! Bless her. Even gentle exercise will help if she is not up to too much racing about!

Even if she has a mild cystitis, so long as it is treated it doesn't have to be worrying. Sometimes a little stress can cause it in cats and dogs, and if she spent some time apart from you that may have been the trigger....

Anyway, if it does happen to be cystitis, then a 5 day course of Amoxycillin should get rid of it. My own dog had cystitis once, and it was cured within the week. I am also looking after a cat who got it in 2015, and after the antibiotics she was fine.

I hope your dog will be fine. What sort of dog is she? For some reason I imagined a brown Labrador..... (probably not! lol)

Yes Mylo I agree with them. You absence is the cause why your dog became like that. I think you should talk to him, walk with him twice a day.

If every time she wakes up is to go out and pee, then there could be a possibility of UTI, that means its time to take her to the vet.