Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Sea World to stop breeding orcas

It has been announced today that Sea World is to stop breeding orcas. For those currently in captivity, it will be "the last generation". See http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35829477

After much public opposition to its orca programme, Sea World has at last seen sense. No doubt this decision is financially based, as Sea World was losing a lot of money recently owing to the bad publicity over its treatment of orcas. But anything which reduces animal abuse, whatever the reason, is welcome.

Re: Sea World to stop breeding orcas

FINALLY! I can't begin to say how happy this makes me!! I've been there and was able to see how unhappy these creatures are and how beat up some of them are as well. It's not a good situation

A monstrous business. Lets hope this is the beginning of the end.

It must be hell for an ocean-going creature to be confined to a small enclosure ....
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

saw this on facebook last week, finally theyve done the right thing and listened!!

OK.. I'm going to be somewhat critical here... Not that I advocate the captivity of these magnificent creatures, but one positive I would like to bring up... for the slavery of a few animals... This is not going to be easy... As a very young child my parents took me to Sea World in San Diego, CA when it first opened in 1964, I was 11 years old! We knew no difference then about wild creatures in captivity and visiting the zoo and the repercussions of these animals. But that one visit and several afterwards opened to me the beauty of those magnificent creatures! Yes I was a "My friend Flicka" nut also. I actually met my first porpoise in 1964 in a small tank at Sea World, San Diego! I was amazed at the intelligence and cognitive reasoning of that creature! You could see in his/her eyes that they were animals with reasoning and understanding. This opened my world to the non-human side of intelligence and even at 11 years old understood that this animal had a soul. No education in our school system could have taught me better than than one porpoise. I must have touched, tried to communicate and with eye to eye contact stayed with that animal for at least a half an hour. Whilst I was there a kid about my age began taunting that poor creature, he was splashing it in the face, when he surface and saying bad things to it, I remember being angry about it and wanted to exact some revenge on him. But dang! That porpoise beat me to it!! Tell me they do not have feelings, har! when that kid came close to him a third time that porpoise gave a tremendous shove with his tail and totally and forcefully doused that kid with a mountain of water!, and making sure that all the time not a drop of water landed on me. That kid left crying for his parents and I was hysterically laughing! It was at that time the porpoise and I identified with each other as we rejoiced at the bullies parting! So for me as a young child Sea World was an amazing learning and awareness for me. It actually taught me to respect all the creatures they had there. From Orcas, to dolphins and porpoises to seals and walruses, birds of prey and many others. No documentary could have taught me as much as I had learned without actually witnessing the beauty of these animals for myself. It gave me an education and a respect for animals I would never have learned otherwise.

You know I respect each of your opinions and I'm not saying Zoo's and Sea Worlds and such are good things but there may be a small place for them... So at the expense of a few animals there might be just enough good to educate people how to coexist with our animal neighbors. Of course these days there might be much better ways to educate people.... but looking at much of the world around me, humans are just not getting it and they seem to enjoy blowing each other up instead of trying to love your neighbor and coexist with one another and with the other animals who seem to have no say so in the affairs of man. I believe that Man was originally meant to coexist and respect all life on this planet!

A very thoughtful and interesting post, David. It is always fascinating to read about the sort of "Ah, I see clearly now!" experiences people have with animals. I wonder how the bully boy you describe turned out as an adult? I doubt whether his life is as fulfilled and enriched as yours clearly is.

Human interaction with animals has been going on since the dawn of time, such as when the first wild dogs (wolf types) entered the caves of humans, got scraps of food and stayed. This led to the closest and most intimate inter-species relationship the world has ever known: man and dog.

The trouble with orcas, dolphins, etc. is that they live in water, so cannot be kept as pets. They need lots of space to swim, hunt for food, and also psychologically depend on being in social groups (rather just as sheep cannot be kept alone; they need the company of a flock).

Your post is very touching and thought provoking and I always respect your opinions, as you are not just an animal lover, but also an animal respecter!

I really like the last past you wrote: "Of course these days there might be much better ways to educate people.... but looking at much of the world around me, humans are just not getting it and they seem to enjoy blowing each other up instead of trying to love your neighbor and coexist with one another and with the other animals who seem to have no say so in the affairs of man. I believe that Man was originally meant to coexist and respect all life on this planet!"

I couldn't agree more with that. Every best wish to you!

As someone who grew up a total animal fanatic I have to agree with you to some extent. I think it's very easy for humans to detach themselves from animals they don't relate to, and it's hard to relate to an animal you have never seen.

It is paramount to conservation efforts that humans not only relate to animals, but they love them. It's the only way we can save our planet, and save ourselves.

That said I think there is a place for the Sea Worlds and Zoo's, but I think they should be forced to provide a proper environment for each animal. Imagine if Sea World moved their orcas to offshore sea pens. Each pen would be large enough to give the entire pod plenty of room to roam, and the nets would be large enough to allow fish and other sea life to enter, but not the whales to exit. You could then pay for an Orca experience, where a boat would take you out to the sea pen and you could see the whales interacting where they are happy, in their natural habitat. People could still interact with the whales, and the whales could be happy and healthy in the ocean where they belong.

My heart hurts so much for Tillikum. As a kid we went to Seaworld at least once a month, and at the time he was the star of their shows, now he is dying a slow death from a lung infection caused by his tiny prison.

If zoos and aquariums can keep their animals mental stimulated and healthy there is no reason for them not to have animals in captivity, but Sea World has unfortunately shown that the lifespan of captive whales is less than 1/3 of their wild counterparts. I'm so happy they finally decided to stop breeding the whales!

I remember reading this a couple of months ago. Absolutely amazing news. Blackfish really did seem to take affect.

Orcas belong in the ocean. Glad to know they will get to live the life that was meant for them!

Quote Originally Posted by CaudaEquina View Post
    Orcas belong in the ocean. Glad to know they will get to live the life that was meant for them!
    I agree. Although that means I may not get to see real life orcas ever :( i was hoping to get to see them at seaworld before they close