Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Dog acting out. Help!!!

My boyfriend and I moved in together awhile back. He had a large breed dog that was two at the time (and very jealous of me) who was pregnant and about to deliver puppies. After her puppies were born we noticed she had a hard time holding her bathroom needs- which before the puppies when I didn't live there she had no problems. We assumed it was due to the delivery of her puppies not me moving in- and gave her time to adjust and a few weeks later it was back to semi-normal with just the few occasional accidents. These would happen when we left the house for 5 minutes to a few hours after having her outside before we left.

Now a year later and a half later my boyfriend started working out of town and we moved. We took her to his parents farm and let her stay out there for a few weeks until we got settled. She had no accidents out there. Once we brought her back she did fine for the first week. I have to travel and am gone now three days of the week so it's just them on those days. But now when I'm home I can leave her outside all day and when I bring her inside she poop's and pees in the floor. Sometimes twice in less than 24 hours. My boyfriend says she only does it when I'm here and I take her outside to go to the bathroom more than when he's here with her. He thinks she is jealous and acting out.

Has anyone else had this problem. And if so, how did you fix it? I am at my wits end and have no idea what to do. I feed her and do everything for her so I don't understand why she acts like this only when I'm home.
    Last edited by BrittneyRC14; 03-11-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Re: Dog acting out. Help!!!

A very warm welcome to the forum! I have moved your thread to the dog behaviour section of the forum, where it seems more appropriate.

I haven't personally met this sort of behaviour. Maybe some other members have encountered it, however. It would seem to me that the likelihood is indeed that the dog has some jealousy and/or anxiety issues when you are with her. There is just one other explanation, unlikely but which I mention "just in case". I note that your profile shows that your favourite animal is a cat. Do you like dogs as well? It is just a remote possibility - and no more than this - that if you feel even a little uncomfortable with dogs generally, despite your physically caring for this dog in a kind and considerate manner, that this might be sending subtle messages which she is picking up.

However, I agree that the jealousy issue is the more likely explanation. It might be necessary to seek the advice of of a dog behavioural expert, who can come to the house, watch, take notes and make a detailed assessment.

Does your husband feed her as well, or just you? It's really strange... Especially if you give her so much attention.
    As LPC said, you should talk with some expert, i never heard of something like this...

While I do prefer cats to dogs, I do love them as well. I've grew up with both and love dogs which is why I think it's more to do with jealousy. But, are dogs really jealous? Do they posses such emotions? I'm not sure. I've never had an animal that showed this type of behavior over anything. I'm truly at a loss here.

He feeds here and cares for her when I'm out of town for school. Otherwise it's just me. Which is what I don't understand. I don't know why she has chosen to act out like this. Especially considering it's not like we leave her kenneled or locked up for long hours on end. We can be gone just long enough to go to the grocery store and come back to mess all over the floor. With a new home I want to get this figured out so we don't have to replace carpet as we did multiple times in the previous home.

In that case, I think my previous suggestion of getting a dog behavioural expert to visit and observe is the best course. The cost of paying such a person might be less than buying new carpets, LOL! Or you could try an animal communicator.

You could also try putting a video cam in the room, to watch how she responds when you go out to the shops or does "poo" or "wee" at other times. Also observe carefully when your partner goes out. Does that cause great anxiety on her part?

Quote Originally Posted by BrittneyRC14 View Post
    He feeds here and cares for her when I'm out of town for school. Otherwise it's just me. Which is what I don't understand. I don't know why she has chosen to act out like this. Especially considering it's not like we leave her kenneled or locked up for long hours on end. We can be gone just long enough to go to the grocery store and come back to mess all over the floor. With a new home I want to get this figured out so we don't have to replace carpet as we did multiple times in the previous home.
    Or you could put laminate :D Maybe you should leave her kenneled for a week or two, if you don't leave her for a long time of course, and see how she reacts after that...