Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Australian plan to kill 2 million feral cats

The Australian Government plans to kill over 2 million cats, with a $3.6m fund established to wipe colony cats off the face of the earth.

This high risk initiative includes a number of cat eradication programs including baiting, shooting, dogs and traps.

If you object to this please consider contacting your local Australian embassy or consulate or, if you're Australian, your local authorities suggesting that funds could be better and more humanely used on TNR or other programmes. Stiff penalties for those who abandon their pets would be useful, too.

There are also many online petitions, including this one: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/303/5...ustralia/#sign

Others can be found here: http://www.veggieboards.com/forum/15...eral-cats.html

Re: Australian plan to kill 2 million feral cats

Welcome to the forum. Your thread was sent by the system for moderation, because any new member putting in links is automatically moderated (as an anti-spam measure).

I have approved your thread and thank you for drawing the attention of members to this important issue. I was not previously aware that Australia was involved in trapping and euthanising wild cats on such a massive scale, although I have heard of such in things in other less developed countries.

I have signed the petition, which is worthy of support. As you correctly point out, TNR (trap, neuter, release) is the way forward. That stops the feral cat population from increasing (and ultimately but humanely reduces it) and is a much more effective and humane alternative.

In some countries which have tried sudden and massive killing, there have terrible problems afterwards (such as rapid increase in the numbers of rats and mice).

Thank you for drawing attention to this, I signed the petition for sure! All we can do is hope it makes a difference and these cats are saved

things like this break my heart, signed the petition!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post

In some countries which have tried sudden and massive killing, there have terrible problems afterwards (such as rapid increase in the numbers of rats and mice).
    That's true. My neighbouring farm keep a whole troupe of feral cats, who do very well,. and there is no rodent overpopulation there. Feral cats are usually very shy of people and do not cause many problems environmentally or to humans or other animals. They do kill songbirds but are more likely to eat rodents as they are an easier catch.
    The exception of course is that they can spread feline viruses, and obviously rabies in many countries. Trap/neuter/vaccinate/release has to be the best option environmentally-speaking as well as for humane considerations.

http://getinvolved.alleycat.org/site...alia_Cats.html

Right now, the lives of millions of Australiaís cats are on the line.

In July 2015, Minister Hunt and the Department of the Environment announced plans to kill two million cats by 2020 in a misguided attempt to save wildlife. Habitat destruction not cats has caused dozens of species in Australia to go extinct and endangers many more. Rather than focusing on the hard work of protecting the bush, Mr. Hunt has waged war on cats.

Huntís plan is not only unsound, but also ineffective and inhumane. Cats cannot be eliminated through killing. Decades of failed attempts to wipe cats out have proven this. Surviving cats reproduce quickly and fill the void, otherwise known as the vacuum effect.

The plan will only cause cats to suffer and die needlessly, with little change in the cat population and no benefit to wildlife. And itís not just the cats who will suffer. Poisons and barbaric traps are cruel and do not discriminate. Other species will be caught both literally and figuratively in the crossfire.

It is time for Australia to embrace ethical, sound, and proven methods. Leading Australian conservationists argue in favor of nonlethal means of protecting animals in the bush. In urban settings, the humane and effective approach is to de-sex alley cats and return them to their outdoor homes. When cats are de-sexed, populations stabilise and then decline.

Australians are banding together to ask Minister Hunt to end his departmentís plan to kill millions of cats. Join us.
    Sign the pledge and declare that you want the government to do better by our nationís cats.