Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Arthritis in my 14 Y/O Peekapom

Hi! I have a peekapom, Riley and he is 14 Y/O and the vet told me that he has signs of arthritis in his back legs. My question is, what can I do to make him feel more comfortable as he gets older? His groomer has noticed that he is having a hard time standing through the grooming process. I have heard remadyl helps a lot, but my vet thinks that he does not need it quite yet. Does any body recommend a vitamin supplement or something of the sort to help him now and in the future. I also was wondering if anybody recommends a certain bed for arthritic dogs. Any information or stories on dealing with arthritic doggies, please feel free to comment!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Blog Entries

Re: Arthritis in my 14 Y/O Peekapom

Certainly I have found from personal experience, that Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplements can help arthritis. You need to speak to your vet about this. Generally the 'human grade' supplement will be cheaper if you buy that especially online. But BEWARE that you get a trustworthy source. Make sure it is a good website and not sourcing raw materials from dubious places!! Also you will need to know the maximum dose to give Riley.
    I gave my dog 500mg Glucosamine and 200mg Chondroitin per day, as she weighed 30lbs. So you will have to make sure you can work out the mathematics to get the right dose for Riley's weight. If you are unsure, ask the vet for a prescription instead.

Keeping his weight normal (not allowing him to gain weight) will also help a lot. The less weight those joints have to carry, the better. 2 decent meals a day according to his weight -of high quality food, and NO treats.

Re: Arthritis in my 14 Y/O Peekapom

Thank you everyone! I think that I will go ahead and call my vet and ask her to write Riley a prescription for something to be on the safe side. He is doing ok right now, but he is getting older and I don't want him to be in pain, especially since the winter in Wyoming can be pretty hard on my old guy! Thanks again!