Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Your Dog Like Pears or Other Fruits?

Last week I was eating a pear and thought I'd offer a piece to my 2 year old Border Collie girl as well. I didn't really expect her to like it, but much to my surprise, she absolutely loved it. She wolfed down the first piece and asked for more. So, I searched online whether it is okay for dogs to eat pears, and when I found out that it is, I gave her more. I ended up feeding her 2 pears. In the weekend I learned that my dog also really likes bananas.

Does your dog like fruits too? Which ones?

Re: Does Your Dog Like Pears or Other Fruits?

Good thread. Welcome to the forum! Please pass to the introductions section to say hello to members and tell us more about yourself and your collie. Feel free to post a picture of her, too, if you so wish!

I agree about dogs liking fruit, and in reasonable quantities can give minerals and vitamins. Two of my dogs in the past loved bananas, but I didn't give too much. One has to be careful of the sugar content.

Regarding fruit and vegetables for dogs, here is a list of items which shouldn't be given to dogs, which my esteemed colleague Tobi posted on another animal forum:

* Grapes.
    * Raisins.
    * Avocados.
    * Alcohol.
    * Chocolate.
    * (Any products containing XYLITOL)
    * Caffeine, or anything containing Caffeine....coffee, tea, chocolate (already mentioned) Coca Cola, energy drinks etc.
    * Bread dough (it rises in the dog's stomach causing pain and bloating -no fun!)
    * Apple seeds and pits from any fruits (contain cyanide!)
    * Macadamia nuts.
    * Bones are generally bad news. They splinter and cause lacerations or blockages in the gut. At the very least they cause dreadful constipation.
    * Mushrooms.
    * Onions (cause a dangerous form of anaemia)
    * Garlic is borderline, some dogs can tolerate it but it might be better not to risk it.
    * Fatty food (causes acute Pancreatitis) Sometimes even a small amount of greasy chicken or turkey skin can cause a dog to have a Pancreatitis attack.
    * Dairy. Dogs are basically lactose-intolerant, and dairy products can cause bad stomach/gut upsets. Some can tolerate small amounts (like cheese treats) better than others, but best to keep dogs away from drinking milk.
    * Mouldy food. NEVER give a dog anything which is suspect, spoiled or mouldy.
    * Tobacco and Nicotine gum.
    * Marijuana (even inhaling the smoke can be dangerous, but more dangerous if ingested. Causes seizures and death).

However, a few items in the list above can be tolerated by some dogs. For example, Puce used to love cornflakes and milk in the evening. But it always best to err on the side of caution.

Mine eat blackberries from the hedge when we go out walking and sometimes cherries and damsons but that's about it, they usually prefer veg, particularly cucumber for some reason!

Cucumber? How fascinating! I've never heard of a dog liking that before.

I have it in my sarnies most days so I always do an extra slice for them. They particularly like the ones I grow in the greenhouse as they have a bit more taste!

Blog Entries

My dog used to like blackberries which I picked from the hedges. She also liked pieces of apple. I gave her a quarter apple (cored and cut into small pieces) each night as a treat for many years.
    Pears are fine for dogs. But not Avocado pears!

I've never heard of an avocado pear, is that different to normal avocados?

Yes my Lala loves all fruits, especially banana. :) Every time I'll buy fruits I make sure that Lala have also. :)

I heard the other day that a lot of horses like bananas – I must try that next time I work with one.

I was told that avocados are actually safe for dogs to eat. Apparently, the toxin in avocados (persin) are not poisonous to dogs, but rather other animals like horses and cows. Also, persin is not actually found in the flesh of the avocado in a ripe avocado.

Source: http://www.thesmartcanine.com/can-dogs-eat-avocado

Of course, this is based on an article on the internet I stumbled on. Anyone have experience with feeding their dog avocados? I'm thinking about experimenting sometime soon.