Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Unhappy I was bitten by my dog?

hi pet lovers out there is this alright if you were bitten by your pet. It did not bleed but it turn into bruises.

Re: I was bitten by my dog?

If you live in a country where rabies exists, take no chances and see a doctor immediately. Also have the dog checked by blood test, as a precaution.

If you live in a country with no rabies, it would still be wise to show your bruising to your doctor.

Blog Entries

Hi vrj.
    What exactly happened that caused your dog to bite you? Was it an accident? (I was bitten a couple of times during play with a neighbour's dog)
    If it was not during play, but from nervousness or aggression, I do advise you to see or talk to an animal behaviourist as soon as you can, to find a way to stop this happening. The dog's life and welfare could be at risk, and it would be a good investment in his/her future as well as your own.

If the skin wasn't broken -and you are 100% sure it wasn't -then there is probably little risk of infection of any kind. Just pain until the bruises die down. Witch Hazel lotion will help.
    But if the skin was broken (and it may have been slightly -only you can't see it), infection could be possible. And it may be a good idea to see the doctor to be on the safe side.
    Also, of course if there is Rabies in your country, that means you should be extra careful. Though usually a dog who has been regularly vaccinated against Rabies cannot pass it on via a bite....there are certain dogs known as 'non-responders' to vaccines. This is very very rare, but can occasionally happen. You need to ask your doctor, and if possible the dog's vet. It would be possible for the vet to run "Titers" to check the dog's immunity to Rabies. Full immunity -nothing to worry about.
    Last edited by Tobi; 08-26-2015 at 06:22 PM.

All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

There is a certain age when you dog bite you. This can be because they are teething. Or they want to feel themselves dominant but it doesn't mean they don't love you anymore. It's a stage of growing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Cruz View Post
    There is a certain age when you dog bite you. This can be because they are teething. Or they want to feel themselves dominant but it doesn't mean they don't love you anymore. It's a stage of growing.
    That is very true, Kate. Young dogs often do a lot of what is called 'mouthing'. They are learning, and dogs discover the world and their boundaries, that way.

Sorry to hear that Surprised

as long as youre positive your skin wasnt broken then i wouldnt be too concerned about infection. but its never nice when your dog bites you, one of my dogs can be extremely grumpy so sometimes snaps, especially if hes been sleeping, but he is one of the friendliest dogs ever and would never purposely upset or hurt me, i just make sure he gets a good telling off on the rare occasions that it does happen.

Oh gosh! I am sorry to hear that, I wouldn't take any chances and see a doctor. Even if it is nothing to worry about, it is much better to be safe than sorry!!

I hope you heal well.

Richard

Sorry to hear about that, I have been bitten (only lightly) when my dogs are young and they are playing. Hopefully it's a one off but you will need to think about what caused the dog to do it.