Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Red face Is caging dogs a good idea...

Hi guys I have two pets and my mom cage them is this alright?

Re: Is caging dogs a good idea...

It would help if you stated what kind of pets they are, what size, etc. Generally speaking, the best cage is no cage at all, but some pets do need one (for example to keep a bird safe when a cat is in the room).

Blog Entries

Your title says "caging dogs" Is that what you mean?

You might mean crates. Now crating dogs is a popular thing to do. I personally don't like it, as I have never ever had a dog who needed to be crated. But that is only my personal experience and choice. I have good neighbours who DO crate their dogs...for example, when they have just eaten, so they will stay still, and not run around. Running about after eating a meal can cause a dog to get "Bloat" which is a very dangerous emergency.
    Crates are also a good idea in cars, as they will protect the dog if there is a car accident.

Some people also crate them at night, so they won't get into the bedrooms. That is a personal choice, but one which I never ever used. Another reason people crate them is when they have to be left alone at home.

I am not saying I agree with all those things (with the exception of a cage in the car) only because my dogs didn't need that. But many people do use crates for their dogs, and this is not meant to be a cruel thing to do.

Also, a dog who is crate-trained will start to view the crate, and its bed in there as a safe place; its "den" and somewhere it can go for some time out, or to lie down and rest.

Crates are only meant to be used for short periods at a time.

If anyone keeps their dog in a cage or crate almost ALL the time, or for many hours at a time, then there is something very wrong indeed happening.
    Last edited by Tobi; 08-16-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks, Tobi! I somehow missed the word "dogs" in the title and only looked at the text of the post. I think the word "cage" threw me off the scent (good expression for a dog thread, LOL!). I agree with what you have written. If a crate is really necessary, then it should be used only for short periods, not long term confinement.

Blog Entries

Another really important thing, is a crate should never be used for punishment!

There are instances when you need to put your dog in a cage or "kennel", dog carrier.... My daughter's dog does not do well around strangers or some other dogs so when strangers visit she will put her dog in a portable kennel or a dog carrier. But her dog, as well as my dog were trained as puppies to think of their kennel as a place of safety and comfort. They were never kept there for long periods of time and they feel very comfortable in their little home. In fact my daughters dog uses her carrier as a place to sleep at night. It is where she chooses to stay the night. My dog rarely needs to be kenneled as she gets along with anyone. But one day we were traveling from New Mexico to Texas and we hit a patch of rough road and Gracie (my dog) got very nervous. we were driving with my daughters' dog and she usually travels in her little carrier, Abby weighs 13lbs and Gracies weighs 34lbs. Well Gracie managed to force Abby out of her tiny carrier, squeeze in and then turn around and rode the next three hours with her head sticking out of the cage and her body in the cage, totally relaxed, Abby took Gracie's spot on the back seat. It was funny because Gracie just barely fit in her carrier.

In conclusion - If the dog is taught that it is a place of refuge and comfort they will not mind staying in their carrier. But this should never be abused. If the dogs like their cage as a place to sleep overnight then it should be OK.

How big are the cages? Usually when our dogs are caged - like in a motel room and we needed to go somewhere for a few hours we would put them in their traveling kennels AFTER we made sure they were exercised and after they relieved themselves. NEVER NEVER put them in there for extended periods of time! The dogs must always feel like it is a place of peace and comfort as they await to see your presence again.