Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hand raising puppies - suddenly no interest in milk

So i found a litter of 5 puppies in a plastic bag and I'm hand raising and bottle feeding them. They are thriving and growing so fast! They're 3 weeks old now and for the past few days 3 of them are showing less and less interest in the milk. Today they basically didn't drink any. They seem to be fine though because they play a lot and sleep the rest of the time, they almost never cry. They tried some of the starter puppy food made into a mash with warm water and some of the milk formula earlier today and weren't interested in that eather. It's only these 3, the other 2 are drinking like crazy. Keeping in mind that we're having hellish temperatures the last few days, what do you guys think? Is it bad? Will they be ok?

Re: Hand raising puppies - suddenly no interest in milk

Ah yes, I remember about your puppies from your previous thread. If it is very hot, it is possible that they are suffering from heat exhaustion and may have lost their appetite temporarily. I suggest that you monitor the situation carefully. Are they drinking water, if not milk? Fluid intake is essential in a heatwave.

Do not let the puppies dehydrate. If necessary, give fluid via a syringe with a large plastic tube attached and put it into their mouths - but do not force it down their throats (that is best done by a vet, if necessary). Keep them as cool as you can (a fan at least, if you don't have air-conditioning). Take them to a vet if they don't improve very soon. Please keep us informed.
    Last edited by LPC; 07-07-2015 at 01:41 PM.

I tried giving them water but they didn't like it... I'll try again and take them to the vet tomorrow. They are playing and running around so it mustn't be that bad, right?

EDIT they drank a good amount of milk this morning and this afternoon two of them drank, one didn't. His tummy doesn't look empty either after 6 hours without eating. He doesn't seem hungry at all and just refused to drink. Do you think there's something in his stomach preventing him from feeling hungry? He seems happy anyway
    Last edited by Sazira; 07-08-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Generally speaking, a puppy who is running around, appears to be happy and is playing is probably not ill. If they all drank milk this morning, then that is a good sign. Probably the severe heat has affected their appetites. Nevertheless, I suggest that you monitor carefully and take any puppy causing concern to the vet.

Blog Entries

I know it's a bit late (about 3 weeks late!) for my comment. I missed this before.

Puppies can become dangerously dehydrated very quickly. If a very young puppy refuses to drink, that can escalate into an emergency in hours. Even if the pup's tummy looks nice and plump. It's always best to get veterinary advice quickly if a puppy won't drink.