Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hand raising 2-3 day old puppies found in a plastic bag

hi! so i found a plastic bag with 5 tiny puppies in it, they've all lost their umbilical cords so they must be a few days old. i bought some formula, 4 of them are drinking like maniacs, one isn't. i'm taking them to the vet this afternoon. most of them have some scabby things on their hind legs and tummies. got any suggestions or advice? thanks

i'll be posting their progress and some photos here

Re: hand raising 2-3 day old puppies found in a plastic bag

A warm welcome to the forum! It is wonderful that you have taken in these puppies. You have carried out a compassionate deed. Many blessings to you for doing that.

One concern I would have is whether the puppies had the chance to drink colostrum from their mother before they got separated from her. Passive immunity is vital if all the puppies are to survive. But as you say that they looked a few days old when you found them, probably they had the chance to get some of the vital early mother's milk. You can read about colostrum here: http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2108&aid=846 The vet will be able to check out their health (including the scab issue) when you take them to him/her.

Please come back and tell us what the vet says. I hope that the one puppy not drinking makes it.
    Last edited by LPC; 06-20-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Hey! Thanks!

So the vet said they're actually a whole week old so they must've grunk that colostrum. She said they're doing well and the scabs are nothing to worry about, only if they ever start having some pus or stuff like that. The one that wasn't drinking is now drinking like a maniac but the smallest one is now causing me concern, he's drinking but not much... The vet said not to worry too much as they may just be adapting to the new milk. We'll see

Name:  DSC_9144.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  87.6 KB. Name:  DSC_9158.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  92.1 KB. Name:  DSC_9141.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  95.4 KB. Name:  DSC_9149.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  84.9 KB. Name:  DSC_9154.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  90.1 KB.

Their poop. Is it normal? And do you have any ideas to make them stop sucking on eachother's penisses? And is drinking eachother's urine bad for them?

Name:  DSC_9157.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  79.8 KB

Did you show the faeces to the vet? It doesn't look too good to me, but it might need looking at under a microscope. Puppies this young will suck almost anything, so the best you can do is keep directing them to the mother's teats, or to the bottle's teat, if you are using one. Are you sure that they are getting enough to drink? Did the vet advise you on how much milk to give, and how often?

On your next visit to the vet, don't forget to mention these issues (especially the faeces). Sweet pictures! Thanks for posting them.
    Last edited by LPC; 06-21-2015 at 04:35 AM.

They drink until they're full, 10 - 15 ml each, except for the small one which is drinking but not much. I'm feeding them every 3 hours and yes the vet approves. They hadn't pooped yet when i went there so i didn't tell her about that. I read that it's normal for them to suck on eachother's penisses but i'm still worried about them drinking pee...

I still recommend that you get the faeces checked by the vet on your next visit. Young pups generally have loose stools which look a bit like mustard with the seeds. Yours look similar, but a few of them look a bit too dark. In all probability the stools are OK, but it is difficult to tell for sure from a photo. It is best to take a sample to the vet next time you go, to be on the safe side. If the pups are doing well generally, then that is a good sign.

Regarding drinking urine, opinions differ, but in all likelihood they are just drinking a liquid which is near at hand. There is brief article here: http://www.ehow.com/facts_5690832_do...nk-urine_.html (There are links and references at the end).

In small quantities it shouldn't be harmful, but in any case be vigilant and encourage the puppies to drink from the mother or the bottle. If you see a puppy drinking urine, offer milk instead.
    Last edited by LPC; 06-21-2015 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    If you see a puppy drinking urine, offer milk instead.
    Won't i be overfeeding them that way? I read that their poop looks like that because they're drinking too much, so I'm feeding them every 4 hours now

The one that's not drinking that well has reddish bumps with pus on his belly!! Look!

Name:  IMG_20150621_125715.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  79.9 KB

Is it bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Sazira View Post
    Won't I be overfeeding them that way? I read that their poop looks like that because they're drinking too much, so I'm feeding them every 4 hours now
    Puppies up to their first week should be given little and often, then it very gradually gets larger and more spaced out. There is excellent advice here: http://pets.thenest.com/much-milk-ne...eed-11671.html
    Last edited by LPC; 06-21-2015 at 09:36 AM.