Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My red lored broke a blood feather

My red lored, approximately 17 years of age, never bred, has bitten? broken? off a blood feather. It bled a little, did not appear to require stanching, and stopped bleeding on its own. He has been picking at his feathers constantly and has uncovered a tiny bare spot right at the point where his tail feathers meet. There are new shafts at the sight, but he is picking and I am very concerned. He has just undergone a minor molt but everything else about him is normal. He's eating normally, poop looks good and besides the picking, he's fine. He has never been a picker before and I don't want to let this go if there's something I can do.

Thank you,

Very worried mom
    diane

Diane, I am sorry but I know absolutely zero about birds. We do not have a huge bird following here in the forum yet. Have you checked our web pages to see if there are any articles about this? Please keep us posted so we can all learn!

Blood feather

I suggest goin to a vet, but if its that bad maybe you should pluck the feather ( in 1 quick sharp movement)

keep us posted,
    SHeka
    ChArLiE aNd ZoEy LoVe YoU!

it does matter, it will be ok very soon. take it easy
    medical products
    spo2 sensors
    ecg cables
    come to [url]www.globalmedproduct.com[/url]

Re: My red lored broke a blood feather

if the feather bleeds again or gets bad its best to pluck it out birds can pick and pull out feathers for many reasons but most the time its mites or stress caused by something that may have changed in the environment if your worried you can see a vet you can also get a spray specially made to spray on the feathers it mainly has a bad taste and will stop picking and plucking