Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The largest great white shark filmed underwater

Mexico’s Guadalupe Island is seasonal home to dozens of adult great white sharks, but as far as anyone knows, none is as large as a monstrous female nicknamed Deep Blue.

The massive predator, measuring 20-plus feet and boasting the girth of a fat hippo, was featured last year by the Discovery network, which aired part of a tagging effort that involved local researcher Mauricio Hoyos Padilla.

The shark, perhaps 50 years old, was said to be one of the largest white sharks ever tagged and videotaped, and on Tuesday Hoyos posted newly released footage of the same shark on Facebook, under the title, “I give you the biggest white shark ever seen in front of the cages in Guadalupe Island… DEEP BLUE!!!”
    The footage reveals how small the divers in the cage appear to be, compared to the seemingly pregnant shark, which can be seen investigating objects around and attached to the cage, but ignoring the divers in a roof-less submerged steel cage.

Hoyos, reached Tuesday via email, said he discovered the 50-second clip this week in his computer. He could not remember who was behind the camera, only that the footage was obtained about the same time as when the Discovery crew was on site, in the fall of 2013.

That’s prime time for shark sightings at Guadalupe, which is located 165 miles west of Ensenada, in Baja California.

Divers and shark enthusiasts travel from all over the world to view white sharks in the gin-clear water beyond the island, which boasts an elephant seal colony, which is attractive to the sharks.

Re: The largest great white shark filmed underwater

Welcome to the forum. Normally new members are not allowed to put links into their first few posts; that is why the system sent your post for moderation. As your link is informative and non-commercial, I have exceptionally approved it. However, I note that the text of your post appears to have been copied verbatim from here: http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/larg...tM7R4VOzui7.97 If you quote word-for-word from another site, please indicate your sources, for copyright reasons.

Please go to the introductions section to tell us a little about yourself and any pets you may have.
    Last edited by LPC; 06-11-2015 at 12:49 PM.

Ok and thank you

That's a big shark! Funny how at the same time as being seriously scary it's quite beautiful. I know if I was that diver I would not be high-fiving her fin!