Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Exclamation My mouse is coughing

Hello, I bought a mouse from a pet store a few months ago and about a week ago it started coughing (its not allergies ive taken it out of his cage for a while and he wouldn't stop, plus he has all of the signs of a bacterial or viral infection) I know what your saying... "TAKE IT TO A VET" but I don't really have the 75+ dollars to spend on a mouse that I bought for 5 bucks, I know that sounds harsh but I don't want it to suffer. Does anyone know anything that I could give him to make him feel better and stop coughing
    PLEASE HELP!!!!

Re: My mouse is coughing

Firstly, a warm welcome to the forum! I am very sorry to read about your pet mouse having a cough. It sounds like a respiratory infection to me. It is a pity that you bought the mouse from a pet shop. The owners of some (of course, not all) pet shops can be sharks who are only interested in selling animals for money. Unscrupulous dealers will even try to unload a sick animal for a smaller price than normal, rather than having it treated by a vet. In any event, it is always advisable to get pets from a private enthusiast or animal rescue.

I'm sorry if you don't have the money to take this mouse to the vet, but that is what is needed. Coughing in mice is not a good sign. The following may help you:

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/small...are/mouse-care (Note the sentences "If you think one of your mice is sick, don’t delay—seek medical attention immediately. Common signs that something isn’t right with your mouse may include sneezing, coughing, difficulty breathing, weight loss and lethargy".)
    and
    http://pet-mice.com/nav/health_problems/sneezing.php
    and
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Mice-3824...mice-cough.htm

You have written, "I don't really have the 75+ dollars to spend on a mouse that I bought for 5 bucks". The question is not, "How much did you pay to buy your pet?" but "How much do you love this mouse?" Would you sit back and watch him fall ill, just because the price of treatment is more than you paid to buy him? Are only expensive pets worthy of treatment? Search your heart.

Pets can and do fall sick. Paying to see a vet is part of the responsibility of having a pet. I think a vet is needed in this case.

My best wishes to you. Please come back and tell us how you got on.
    Last edited by LPC; 04-22-2015 at 01:45 AM.

A very warm welcome to the forum, dear Broy.

If you've ascertained the problem is not an environmental one .i.e. bedding/diet, or chemical use in the home i.e. air-sprays, room fresheners (which have been shown to spark allergic reactions, like wheezing, in some humans. So not as silly as it might first seem) or maybe chemicals you have used in cage cleaning.

If it is none of those things, then a visit to the vet is the best thing for your mouse.
    There are a number of animal welfare centres that do offer free veterinary help for those on low incomes. Wherabouts do you live?
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Thank you for the warm welcome any your responses, I have just today started giving my mouse doxycycline which is an antibiotic that I got from a friend that is said to help cure what my mouse has. I've put less than half of a pill in his water and it doesn't seem like he has any problem drinking it so we will see how it is feeling in the next few days.

P.S. thank you for not being to harsh on me for not having the money to take it to a vet.

Blog Entries

Listen to his breathing and if it sounds rattly, he might have pneumonia.
    Antibiotics sound a good idea, but it might be that he needs a lower dosage, according to his body weight.

The dosage of Doxycycline for animal treatments is 10 mg per kg.

A little mouse is only going to weigh grams So you are going to have to do the sums to divide that tablet into an approprate dosage for his weight. You don't want to over medicate him, it could be toxic.

If you can't work it out, then post back here as quick as you can, giving the mouse's weight (in grams if possible) and how many milligrams are in each tablet. And I will work it out for you.
    Last edited by Tobi; 04-22-2015 at 01:34 PM.

Welcome to Animal Forum Broy! Good advice Tobi, make sure you do not give too much antibiotics. It can damage the liver and or kidneys of the animal if too much is administered.

I just went through this with my daughter's 13 pound dog, Abby.(whole, whole lot bigger than a mouse, ha!) It was Saturday and she was not feeling well at all. I used water soluble oxi-tetracycline. The package said 10mg per pound. So a dose would be 130mg for Abby's weight. My jewelry scale would not even sense 130mg. it is only sensitive to a tenth of a gram. So I weighed out 2.6 grams (130mg x 20 doses = 2.6grams) on my jewelry scale and mixed it into 50ml of purified water, which is 20 doses at 2.5ml per dose (10 days worth of antibiotics) I have 5ml oral syringes I got from our local pharmacy. I keep the pure mixture refrigerated and twice a day (12hrs apart) I place 2.5ml in a teaspoon of gravy which she readily laps up. In two days she was feeling much better!

So for a little mouse you must be extremely careful!

Very sound advice, Tobi and David. Broy, overdosing with antibiotic could be very dangerous for the mouse. Was the pill one designed for a human? What was the dosage of the whole pill? You say you gave him half a pill. I do so hope that his liver and kidneys hold out. Please keep us informed.

Blog Entries

That is a brilliant and easy tip David! Thank you very much.
    I also have scales that only start at 1 gram. My bet is most peoples' scales would be the same. So your tip is worth its weight in gold. Much easier than trying to divide up a crushed powdered tablet!

I'm glad to hear Abby is recovering well now.

Broy....we need to hear back from you. Please do update soon or we will all worry about your little mouse!