Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Rats Detecting Tuberculosis

I have had many pet rats over the years. A lot of people do not realize how intelligent they are. You can teach a pet rat many tricks just as you would with your dog. Though I have never had a Gambian Pouched Rat as a pet, they have always intrigued me. I happened to stumble across this video...I love how animals will always continue to amaze me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrp2UgbYJn4

Re: Giant Rats Detecting Tuberculosis

That's a fascinating video, Enzo. Thank you for posting it. For countless centuries, rats have been dismissed as "vermin", but we humans are beginning to realise (not before time!) that all creatures have intelligence and that we can work with THEIR help.

Amazing!

Extraordinary things rats. I had one in my garden shed a while back. Engaged in a (non-violent) battle of wills with the blighter! He was an athlete of Olympic proportions! I'll say that for him.
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Aren't those rats amazing! And they are happy to help, for a treat of mashed banana. I just hope the rats have some life outside of the boxes where they receive training....

Aww! That is some tough rat, to be willing to do battle with a Knight!

I quite like them because I admire their resilience and intelligence. They make very loving and loyal pets apparently. But I would not encourage a wild rat to take up residence near my kitchen! They CAN transmit Weil's disease via their urine, and can also transmit Leptospirosis which affects dogs. This is usually caught from standing water where rodents have been.

So that rat would be wise to make his/her home away from your garden shed. It is turning to Spring now, so I am sure the rat can find somewhere decent to go!
    Last edited by Tobi; 03-12-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Fear not, 'Derek' has gone to the big rat hole in the sky. No longer in the shed, nor climbing my trees, leaping in the dark onto my roof or exploring my attic and cavity walls ...

It was natural causes...
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.

Blog Entries

Oh dear....Derek has now left this World? Maybe that's why he headed for the garden shed. To rest up and hide because he didn't feel so good....

Tobi, you rightly draw attention to the issue of some diseases which can be spread by wild rats. However, pet rats are usually bred in captivity in a clean environment, and often are health checked before being sold - at least, from what I have read, as I have never had a pet rat. As you know, I'm a dog person (and also love cats).

Any member or visitor reading this thread should note that in the case of wild rats, there is a small risk to health, but according to these two websites (amongst others), Weil's Disease (leptospirosis) can be transmitted via rats, cattle, pigs and dogs. If they are infected, and if their urine goes into water (e.g. a pond, canal, or stream), and if a human has a cut, the disease can enter the body. The main risk is in tropical countries, apparently. See
    http://www.patient.co.uk/health/lept...-weils-disease
    and
    http://www.rospa.com/leisuresafety/a...s-disease.aspx

The best way to avoid risk of infection is to avoid swimming in ponds, lakes and streams, especially if you have a cut or open wound.

Noble Knight, I wonder why Derek spent so much time near your home. Nice ambiance, perhaps?! We had trouble here in France, when mice kept on eating our stored fruit and potatoes in the cellar. We wouldn't dream of harming them, so installed a few ultrasonic devices (which emit an intermittent sound which mice and rats don't like). A few dared to continue, despite those devices, so we put in a few homemade, humane traps and then returned the mice to the wild away from our home.
    Last edited by LPC; 03-15-2015 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    Oh dear....Derek has now left this World? Maybe that's why he headed for the garden shed. To rest up and hide because he didn't feel so good....
    No, he was in fine fettle. His passing was, as far as I could tell, down to old age.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    Noble Knight, I wonder why Derek spent so much time near your home. Nice ambiance, perhaps?! We had trouble here in France, when mice kept on eating our stored fruit and potatoes in the cellar. We wouldn't dream of harming them, so installed a few ultrasonic devices (which emit an intermittent sound which mice and rats don't like). A few dared to continue, despite those devices, so we put in a few homemade, humane traps and then returned the mice to the wild away from our home.
    My cosy shed I would think!

I learnt much from dear old Derek. Not only how to deter rats, but about myself.

Resorting to killing and violence, much like hating someone, you lose something in yourself - purity of soul.
    Always there is a (non-violent) way to peacefully co-exist. If you desire to look for it ....