Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

View Poll Results: Which bear species do you think stereotypically represents a circus bear?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Asiatic black bear

0 0%
  • Polar bear

0 0%
  • Brown bear

1 100.00%
  • N.A. black bear

0 0%
  • Sun bear

0 0%
  • Sloth bear

0 0%
  • Giant panda

0 0%
  • Spectacled bear

0 0%

Thread: Circus bears?

Circus bears?

A common, rather stereotypical image of a circus is dancing bears/bears riding bikes. What species of bears are in these circuses? I know brown bears, black bears, and sometimes polar bears. Does anyone on here know the Suarez 6? Well, six polar bears were rescued in San Juan, Puerto Rico from a Mexican circus, the Suarez Bros. Circus, that toured the humid, tropical climates of Mexico and the Caribbean. They were moved to much more suitable climates in northern U.S. zoos.
    -Do you have any memories of circus bears or know any circus bears?

Re: Circus bears?

Welcome to the forum. I have not been to a circus with animals ever in my life, as my parents did not approve of them and neither do I.

Please pass to the introductions section to say hello to members and tell us a little about yourself and your pets. I look forward to seeing your introduction.

Quote Originally Posted by ColumbusZoo614 View Post
    A common, rather stereotypical image of a circus is dancing bears/bears riding bikes. What species of bears are in these circuses? I know brown bears, black bears, and sometimes polar bears. Does anyone on here know the Suarez 6? Well, six polar bears were rescued in San Juan, Puerto Rico from a Mexican circus, the Suarez Bros. Circus, that toured the humid, tropical climates of Mexico and the Caribbean. They were moved to much more suitable climates in northern U.S. zoos.
    -Do you have any memories of circus bears or know any circus bears?
    A very warm welcome to the forum!
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

On the subject of bears in circuses, or any sort of animal for that matter, I find it disgusting that a beautiful creature should, not only be held in captivity, but suffered to endure humiliation and degradation in the name of 'public entertainment'.
    I hope to see the day when the use and abuse of animals in circuses ends.
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Yes I feel the same about that.

I was taken to circuses with animals when I was a young child. I was both fascinated and horrified, and usually cried at some point -then was accused of being "overtired or bad tempered".
    Oh well.....

It feels like a bit of a faraway memory now but what struck me I think, was the sorrowful acceptance of their fate which they had with them. And the way they seemed to have lost something so precious.

And has anyone ever smelled the pee of a dying animal? These circus animals all smelled like that.
    Last edited by Tobi; 03-11-2015 at 06:40 PM.