Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dog peeing in house since new puppy added to the family

I am new here. I currently have no pets, so this is for a friend of mine who is having a terrible time. Can someone tell me what to do with a dog that is peeing in the house after a new puppy was brought in for a playmate for the dog. Both dogs are cocker spaniels. The first dog has been a pet for about three years. His other cocker playmate died a few months ago. When the new puppy was brought in, the remaining cocker began peeing all over the place. He is a male. The new puppy is a female. Any help would be appreciated.

My friend is also afraid to put the two dogs together because the first (older) cocker acts like he is going to attack the new puppy.

Re: Dog peeing in house since new puppy added to the family

There are several possible explanations for this sudden urination in the house:

Jealousy of the puppy receiving more of the attention;
    Resentment of the puppy as an "intruder", as he was the only dog in the house for several months;
    An attempt to mark off "territory" in the house;
    A medical problem causing failure to control urine (e.g. a bladder infection);
    Laying of "scent", as the male dog senses that the other is a female (even though only a puppy).

I would recommend eliminating the medical issue first (a visit to a vet), then tackling the other issues.
    Last edited by LPC; 03-09-2015 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Typo

Thank you so much for your quick answer. I appreciate it. The dog was recently at the vet so I dont think that is the problem. So how on earth does one tackle the other issues?

Thanks,
    Korky

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    There are several possible explanations for this sudden urination in the house:

Jealousy of the puppy receiving more of the attention;
    Resentment of the puppy as an "intruder", as he was the only dog in the house for several months;
    An attempt to mark off "territory" in the house;
    A medical problem causing failure to control urine (e.g. a bladder infection;
    Laying of "scent", as the male dog senses that the other is a female (even though only a puppy).

I would recommend eliminating the medical issue first (a visit to a vet), then tackling the other issues.

Thank you again. It was very kind of you. I will pass the information on to my friend.

P.S. QUOTE: Think how jealous some humans can get. You are funny. I love humor.

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post

Blog Entries

In my estimation LPC has it right. My feeling is the older dog is marking, to show his dominant position, and possibly marking also because the young one is a female, even though still very young.

It's more common for a male to 'mark' if entire. Females also 'mark'. But you said he'd "been to the vet"....I suppose you mean neutered?
    If that was very recent (within a number of weeks) he will still have a lot of testosterone in his system, and this may take some time to diminish. But things may get better re: his marking behaviour as time goes by and his hormone levels lower. It may also get better as the two dogs grow accustomed to each other so no-one has to 'prove' anything any more!

This is a way of a dog showing who is higher-ranking. It's a direct message to the younger dog. Other messages the older dog would give the young one might be minor skirmishes to assert dominance. That is natural, and dogs in a household usually do sort out their 'pecking order' and find balance, so long as things don't get too serious or vicious.Once the young one gets the message...it may stop, or only recur at occasional times in the future.

But it's difficult for you to wait around for that, and have to clean up after him, and worry about their getting on together!

I wish I could help with some practical advice but have never had to deal with a dog peeing in the house. I hope there will be some good advice online if you research.

Another cause could be a bladder infection or incontinence, or whether the dog is exercised enough. (A dog confined for long periods to the house is likely to have to pee inside, for example, especially if he drinks a lot of water.) Early stage kidney problems can also be a cause, not always, but more often in an older dog though. Usually the best thing to do is have a urine sample tested first, to rule out anything physical. However, urine tests don't always show early stage kidney issues, and a blood test is needed to pick up fine detail.

But this does sound more behavioural. There may be a dog behaviourist you can contact by phone or online? (Not a 'trainer' -that's different. You will need a behaviourist.) Or your vet might know of one?

Thank you so much, Toby. I will pass along any and all advice. Its a pretty serious thing to have your home ruined. He is marking on the floor, the carpet and getting on the couch and marking there too.

I have been working on a funny book. Much of it is VERY funny animal stories from my own life. It's been therapeutic for this disabled soul, with laughter being very good for people, including the writer. I sure can't include this story, because its not at all funny. I feel so very sorry for my friend.

Her "problem dog" has had other behavior issues, as well. He is very odd. He barely eats since she has had him. He looks at his bowl of food, then pushes all the food out of the bowl with his nose (dry food). While it lays scattered all over the floor, he goes about his business, and occassionally comes back to nibble at a morsel. He also constantly pulls on the toilet paper, strewing it about the house. He has done these things ever since she has had him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi View Post
    In my estimation LPC has it right. My feeling is the older dog is marking, to show his dominant position, and possibly marking also because the young one is a female, even though still very young.

It's more common for a male to 'mark' if entire. Females also 'mark'. But you said he'd "been to the vet"....I suppose you mean neutered?
    If that was very recent (within a number of weeks) he will still have a lot of testosterone in his system, and this may take some time to diminish. But things may get better re: his marking behaviour as time goes by and his hormone levels lower. It may also get better as the two dogs grow accustomed to each other so no-one has to 'prove' anything any more!

This is a way of a dog showing who is higher-ranking. It's a direct message to the younger dog. Other messages the older dog would give the young one might be minor skirmishes to assert dominance. That is natural, and dogs in a household usually do sort out their 'pecking order' and find balance, so long as things don't get too serious or vicious.Once the young one gets the message...it may stop, or only recur at occasional times in the future.

But it's difficult for you to wait around for that, and have to clean up after him, and worry about their getting on together!

I wish I could help with some practical advice but have never had to deal with a dog peeing in the house. I hope there will be some good advice online if you research.

Another cause could be a bladder infection or incontinence, or whether the dog is exercised enough. (A dog confined for long periods to the house is likely to have to pee inside, for example, especially if he drinks a lot of water.) Early stage kidney problems can also be a cause, not always, but more often in an older dog though. Usually the best thing to do is have a urine sample tested first, to rule out anything physical. However, urine tests don't always show early stage kidney issues, and a blood test is needed to pick up fine detail.

But this does sound more behavioural. There may be a dog behaviourist you can contact by phone or online? (Not a 'trainer' -that's different. You will need a behaviourist.) Or your vet might know of one?

Hi Tobi,

I posted a reply to your kind advice but I don't see it. I also posted a second reply to LPC's second message but I don't see that either. I don't know if I did something wrong, or if there was a glitch.

I will report any and all advice given, to my friend. (she doesn't have a computer). I appreciate your help.

I am disabled and have been writing a book of VERY funny stories (some of them are funny animal stories), from my own life. Laughter is good for everyone and it has been therapeutic for me to write it. Because I suffer from a painful condition, this is why I no longer have pets, and I sure miss having dogs and cats. I am an animal lover. But I sure can't include this story about my friend because its not at all, funny. I feel so sorry for her because marking is a terrible problem. It can ruin a house.

The dog (Bentley is his name) is also getting on the couch and marking that too, along with hardwood floors and carpeting. He has other issues, too. He doesn't eat much, ever since she has had him. She puts his dry food in a bowl and he stares at it. Then he flips it out of the bowl into the air, with his nose and scatters it all over the room. Later he will go and eat a bite, at his leisure. He is eating enough to sustain a healthy weight but its just weird how he eats. He also grabs the toilet paper from the bathroom and drags it all over the house. He opens her drawer in the kitchen that houses her wastebasket and has broken off the knob from doing so. These things he has done from day one. He has some aggressive traits. One night he was sleeping on my friends legs and she woke up and moved and he snapped at her and growled. I feel so sorry for her. She is afraid to put him and the puppy together because of his aggression. Afraid he will hurt her. So she has to keep them separated. She does give them both, one on one, attention. But it really is not working out very well.

Sadly, because of all of this, she is thinking she may have to find another home for the puppy, since her husband really loves the other dog (Bentley) and they have had him longer. But she is also afraid he may continue marking just out of habit. In any case, I will share with her what I have learned from you and LPC. Thank you so very much.

Korky, your last posts were awaiting moderation. I have approved them. I don't really know why your first two posts were accepted by the system (no moderation needed), but not your last two. I think the problem might have arisen because you clicked on "Reply with quote", rather than "Quick reply" (which is below the last post). As any posts of new members with links to websites are sent by the system for moderation, perhaps the fact that you quoted my reply (with three websites links in it) may have caused this little hiccup. But we won't let a little hiccup upset us, will we?! (Nooooo!). :D Hic!

Poor Bentley does seem to have some problems. Perhaps he was mistreated by a previous owner as a puppy? Regarding the eating problem, perhaps I should mention that although many pet owners do give dry dog food all the time, some dogs just don't like dry food. It might be worth your friend trying some wet dog food (sachets or cans - if top quality) as an alternative on occasions. Best of all, it might be worth trying giving some "real" food (freshly cooked meat and the odd portion of fish - after thorough checking that there are no bones). Pushing the bowl away could be a sign of other problems, but equally it could be frustration at always being given dry food.
    Last edited by LPC; 03-10-2015 at 03:58 PM.

Hi LPC,

Thanks again for your kind and timely comments. No worries about a hiccup. Its not a perfect world. I am quick to forgive. I thought maybe I did something wrong, as well. And that could still be the case. I am my own best critic. hahaha.

She got Bentley from a breeder as a pup but who knows if the breeder may have mistreated him. I think he was the traditional 6 weeks old. I did suggest she try some other kinds of dog food. Not sure if she took my advice on that. You folks are replete with suggestions and I so very much appreciate that.

To your byline: Do animals have souls? The answer, IMO is YES! I firmly believe we will all see our pets in heaven, provided we make it ourselves. lol

Have a great day!