Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

'Miracle' Dog Exposes Truth About Leghold Traps

Sweet dog horribly wounded after being caught in leghold trap. But against all the odds, survives, escapes and finds his way to help.

http://www.thedodo.com/miracle-dog-e...022299525.html

Knight gives warning: Some distressing images ...
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Re: 'Miracle' Dog Exposes Truth About Leghold Traps

I'm glad that you have publicised this issue, Noble Knight. These horrible traps have been illegal in all of Europe since November 1995 (nearly 20 years ago), and in many other countries, too. The "gin trap" was banned in the UK in 1958 (57 years ago!). In the USA, where this horrific incident took place, only 6 states have banned the leghold traps, and in the rest they are not only legal but widely used - even by federal wildlife officials! This is despite the fact that the World Vetinary Association and the American Veterinary Medical Association have declared such traps to be inhumane. See http://www.worldanimalfoundation.net/f/FurTrapping.pdf

This horrific incident took place in New Mexico, where the trapping seems to be the most prevalent for some reason. But thank goodness the dog has received a lot of loving care and seems to be well looked after now, despite his horrendous injuries.

Hard to believe these monstrous contraptions are still legal in what is supposedly a civilised and 'Christian' country, or even that they were ever legal in the first place.

These, as all traps and snares, are indiscriminate. And they do not kill quickly and nor are they intended to, which is all the more cruel.
    There have been numerous reports of where animals trapped in these traps have bitten off their own leg in order to escape....
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Oh my! What a little trooper! I remember at a young age my father and I would take walks in the forest and we would snag sticks in any snares we came across. I think that any trapping should be prohibited.

Good for you, Enzo! You and your father "done good", as the Americans say. Here in Europe we would say, "You did well" or "You did a good deed". No matter what words....I'm glad that you thought of doing such things.

Blog Entries

That poor dog! Those traps are horrible.
    I am so glad he did survive and seems to be doing qute well, considering his horrific injuries. The sheer grit and strength of character that dear dog had to hobble about on broken bones....is incredible and takes my breath away. Many humans would refuse to walk on a sprained ankle.

These traps need to be banned worldwide.