Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Big Boy

Big Boy

... And still growing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...boy-rides.html

Got a bad feeling about all this. These are not family dogs.
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Re: Big Boy

I've read some stories of put bulls risking their own lives to save humans, so it is not all black and white. Some have stable characters and never turn aggressive.

But when there are so many other lovely breeds to choose from as a family pet (as distinct from a dog bred specifically as a guard dog), and of course so many cross-breeds and mongrels needing a loving home, if I am honest a pit bull wouldn't be my choice as a pet if I had a child in the house. Better to go down the local rescue and save a homeless dog - that's really doing some good.

Blog Entries

I honestly don't know about this....
    Hulk does seem like a happy balanced family dog. But Marlon Brennan, from what he says, does seem to be focused on the 'security' aspect of having such a dog, and the others who are bred and trained for security purposes. So that does tell me that this dog is not a 'pussy-cat' no matter how much he seems so nice and steady.
    Now whether Hulk can separate two aspects of his life successfully....I don't know. Let's hope so.

However, the very first dog I ever knew, was a German Shepherd trained as a police dog. She belonged to my uncle who was a policeman, and lived with him and his family, and was a sweet and gentle loving girl with a steady reliable temperament. She and I got along very well. One of my earliest memories was putting my hand into her mouth, to feel her big pink tongue! And her happy licking of my hand....

So no -these things are not black-and-white.

I'm guessing this dog will be prime breeding stock, so not 'done' ...

Notice how the adult (snow picture) is straining to brake the dog, but can't... No-one should have a dog if they can't control it. If that animal ever gets the red mist, I'd shudder to think what would happen.
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

I hope that they do not continue to let their child ride on his back. Dogs are not built for that. Also I agree with you Knight in regards to the owners not being able to control him.

Blog Entries

Yes a huge powerful dog like this should be completely controllable. That may be a bit of a 'red flag' which shows either/both -the dog has a streak of wilfulness, and/or the people haven't trained him right yet. All of that may not necessarily mean he could turn on the child or another person, but it shows there is a part of him they haven't got to grips with yet.

You're right, Enzo. Although the dog is very musclar, as the boy grows bigger, riding on his back could cause strain and isn't a good idea with any dog.
    Last edited by Tobi; 03-05-2015 at 02:41 PM.