Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking For Your Opinion On Declawing

Hi everyone,
    My friend lives in an apartment building and she has a neighbour that recently got a kitten. I do not know her well, but she occasionally stops in when I am visiting to have some tea and chat with us. Yesterday she brought up that she is planning on having her kitten declawed when she goes in to get spayed. She asked for our opinions on the matter as this is her first cat she has ever owned and she didn’t know much about the subject. Both my friend and I believe it is an unnecessary procedure so we went over the cons and in to detail about the actual process of the surgery. I also made some alternative suggestions to what she can try out before booking the procedure, and recommended that she also discuss it with her Veterinarian. She does not have access to the internet so I have printed some literature for her so she can read up on it before making this big decision. I was hoping to get other people’s opinions on declawing so I can show her this too as she has only really discussed this with my friend and I at this point. For now I have trimmed her nails and I am dropping off one of my cat’s scratching posts for her in hopes that this will help her out some.

Re: Looking For Your Opinion On Declawing

Enzo, you have done a job there! I agree totally with what you have written and the advice which you have given. You have a kind and compassionate heart.

Declawing seems to be practised most commonly in the USA and Canada. It is extremely rare in the rest of the world and banned in some countries (e.g. in the UK, where I originally came from). It is so rare in Europe that we find it hard to understand how it is still widely done in the USA and Canada.

Here is an article describing how there is a campaign in Canada to ban declawing as a cruel practice. Some vets are already refusing to do it on ethical grounds: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/declaw-dilemma-...cats-1.1207643

I hope that this lady will follow your advice. A good scratching board (as you have kindly given her) should use up any residual desire to scratch. However, if the lady complains about scratching too much in the future, there is a more humane alternative to declawing: http://soft-claws.co.uk Nevertheless I suggest that you don't tell the lady about this last possibility unless there is a serious risk that she is going ahead with the operation. For the moment, thank goodness, she seems to be listening to you.

Blog Entries

Hello Enzo,
    In my opinion you are giving your friend perfect advice.
    If only people were fully aware of what de-clawing actually means medically, I think fewer people would opt for it done. In human terms it is the equivalent of having all 20 fingers and toes amputated at the first joint. It is impossible for the cat to walk naturally afterwards -as it is intended to by nature, and it is thrown back on its feet, putting strain on joints for the rest of its life.

It will find it very hard if not impossible for some time, to dig a hole in the earth or litterbox to do 'business'. Cats are born with that instinct, and find it quite stressful not to be able to do this naturally. They hate having to leave what they have done uncovered.
    Again, imagining that in human terms, it might be a similar effect to us being unable to flush, or wipe and wash after defecating.

It can no longer climb trees, or defend itself if outside against sudden attack by a hawk or other predator. Many cats cry out in great pain after the operation and of course will be given pain killers, but their distress is surely a message that something has been done that shouldn't have been done.

Thank you for what you are trying to do.

My own feelings? If anyone really wants a cat, it's wise for its health and happiness, to buy second-hand furniture (rather nice, if cleaned and covered with a colourful throw) -forget about being overly houseproud, these are only 'things' after all. A cat is a loving Soul. Otherwise, consider getting another pet!
    Get a scratching-post in, and make a determined attempt to train the cat to use it, by positive attention and treats. Or if really necessary, trim the cat's claws.
    Last edited by Tobi; 02-28-2015 at 11:38 AM.

Thanks so much for your posts you guys! I believe it was about 5 years ago that tail docking and ear cropping were banned here and I am hoping that declawing will be next!

Declawing? I say it's cruel. Mutilation.

Cats have claws. If that's an issue, why get a cat?

A scratching post can provide much relief in this respect, but cats, as dogs, can get up to mischief... It's part of the 'contract' between man and beast. Love and companionship, but with an element of 'wildness'.
    All this talk of religion, but it's how you live your life that is the all-important thing.
    If you set out each day to do all the goodness and kindness that you can, and to do no harm to man or beast, then you are walking the highest path.
    And when your time is up, if you can leave the earth a better place than you found it, then yours will have been a life well lived.
    http://holy-lance.blogspot.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by knightofalbion View Post
    Declawing? I say it's cruel. Mutilation.

Cats have claws. If that's an issue, why get a cat?

A scratching post can provide much relief in this respect, but cats, as dogs, can get up to mischief... It's part of the 'contract' between man and beast. Love and companionship, but with an element of 'wildness'.
    Very true, dear Knight. That's how I feel about it too.

UPDATE: I got word today that Luna went in for her spay yesterday and she was NOT declawed. She has recovered well from her surgery and is getting regular nail trims from myself or my friend until her owner becomes more comfortable with trimming the nails herself. Thank you all for sharing your opinions. I did end up showing her them and I think they really helped open her eyes to declawing.

I'm very pleased to read your update. Thanks for letting us all know.

Yes - Thank You for the update. Having owned many cats (hmmmm... I'm thinking they owned me come to think of it...) I never believed a cat should be de-clawed. I think it is cruel to have that done to them and that it is unnecessary. On another notes I never thought it humane to clip dogs ears, cut their tails etc. and all the other things done to them in name of vanity.

Enzo! that was a great outcome!!!!!

Blog Entries

I am very glad, Enzo, that the cat wasn't de-clawed.

I am looking after a little cat right now, and she has special places where she likes to scratch (certain trees outside, an old pine log by a water barrel, and a slatted hard wood door-mat.) I have never actually seen her scratch anywhere else! So from observing her it seems that they have their favourite places. I assume(?) from this that if the cat got accustomed to using a scratching post or some other item, and was rewarded with positive attention or a small treat for using that, it may well continue to always use the same place, and there may not be too much of a problem.