Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please help with my dog walking questionnaire

I am currently in the process of setting up a dog walking service in the Southampton/ New Forest area of Hampshire (UK) and want to provide the best possible service. Therefore, I would really appreciate help with some basic market research from Animal Forums members, who know about dogs.

There are only 10 questions!

Your contribution will help me to plan my service. Thank you in advance.

Thank you also to the admins for allowing me to post.

Re: Please help with my dog walking questionnaire

Good luck with your survey. I have moved your thread to "Dog Chat", as it is dog specific and Marketplace was not the right place.

If I have time later I will visit your survey. Please note that whilst your survey is perfectly in order, commercial links (for example to your new service) are generally not allowed in posts. However, welcome to the forum and feel free to join any threads which interest you!

Quote Originally Posted by LPC View Post
    Good luck with your survey. I have moved your thread to "Dog Chat", as it is dog specific and Marketplace was not the right place.

If I have time later I will visit your survey. Please note that whilst your survey is perfectly in order, commercial links (for example to your new service) are generally not allowed in posts. However, welcome to the forum and feel free to join any threads which interest you!
    Thank you very much. I did not want to spam or to go against the spirit of your site.

Thank-you Dog Ears - Hope you do well with the survey. Were you only looking for people in your area to do the survey?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Thank-you Dog Ears - Hope you do well with the survey. Were you only looking for people in your area to do the survey?
    Thank you, David. No, I have not attempted to restrict the replies to my own area. I am in southern England, but I have had replies from the US. There is a trend in the results, so the location may have little effect. I hope to publish a brief analysis, of the results, on all the sites that have helped (which is all of them, bar one), but the replies are still arriving. I have been pleasantly surprised by the level of support, even from across the world.

The irony is that I posted on a local community site and have received very little response from them. I may yet have to go out onto the streets with a clipboard. I did think of doing this in the car parks of local beauty spots.

Please do "keep us in the loop", as the Americans say!

^ I will do.

I went ahead and did your survey based upon your answer to my question. Now you know how a guy in New Mexico, USA would answer! har!

RESULTS

After nearly one hundred responses in just under two weeks, I thought I would update everyone who has contributed with a brief analysis of the survey.

Q1. Almost half the respondents own one dog, ten percent less own two dogs, another ten percent less own three and so on.

Q2. Around half were not interested in a dog walking service, the remainder used one or were at least thinking about doing so.

Q3. The main reason for using a dog walking service was working, at nearly fifty percent, followed by illness or family commitments.

Q4. Most people, by far, paid £10 ($15) an hour or less. Some paid up to £20 ($30), but no-one paid more than this.

Q5. Contributors' thoughts regarding the fairness of prices matched their answers for Q4, with slightly more optng for £10 ($15), rather than for less.

Q6. The largest group by far, 85 percent, said they would use a service following a recommendation, followed by the internet at 40 percent. Flyers were next and a small proportion said they would rely on posters, cards in shop windows or newspaper adverts (around 5 percent each).

Q7. The factors judged very important in a service were, in order: (i) previous experience, (ii) being friendly and caring, and (iii) references from previous clients. Many felt flexible bookings were important. Offering other services had little significance.

Q8. Well over half of respondents thought the ideal duration for a dog walk was 30 minutes to an hour, with most of the remainder opting for more. About 5 percent thought less than half an hour.

Q9. The services that appealed most were, in order: (i) dog walked by the same person, (ii) emergency bookings, and (iii) one-to-one dog walking. The other services came close and were level with each other. The least appealing (less than 10 percent each) were taxi-to-vet, online booking and other. I expected online booking to be more popular.

Q10. The required patterns of walking were, once a day for five days a week, one-offs and more than five days a week. Perhaps the biggest surprise of the survey, to me, was that only ten percent expected twice a day for five days a week or less.

Thank you again, and the survey is still open: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QCN32X8

WARNING: SurveyMoney have now closed my survey, although it may appear active. I apologise for this, but it seems to be out of my control.

David - Some people have questioned my seeking replies from far afield, even within the UK (and I had one from Georgia US last night), but the replies have tended to be consistent. Perhaps dogs and their owners are universal in their views and attitudes.