Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Scat found: Black bear?

Hi, first post in this forum for me.

I have some property in the Catskill mountains of NYS, and recently came across several samples of large scat . I don't know animals or their scats well, so I have no idea what animal it's from, but was curious whether it is bear scat. It is rumored that black bears have populated the Catskills in recent years. Here's a photo of the scat I found. I found lots more of it within a 200 foot radius of where I found this. My hand is a reference point for size (I have very large hands).

Any and all help is appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by southpawboston; 08-15-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Re: Scat found: Black bear?

Firstly, welcome to the forum! Please drop by the introduction section to say hello to members and tell us a little about yourself and your pets.

Regarding your query: the answer would seem that it is quite possibly bear droppings. See http://icwdm.org/inspection/browndroppingsglobular.aspx

BTW I have never heard of the word "scat" and had to look it up! Maybe it is an American word?