Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

2 Great Read for Animal Lovers! Educational at the same time!

Hello Members of Animal Forums.

Today I'm here to give the two best reads in my opinion if you are an animal lover. They are all pretty short novels so would be able to finish them fairly quick.

1. The Animal Farm, By George Orewell (Topic, farm animals making stand to human farmers, and portrays the communism in our society)

2. Waterships Down (A story about a communities of bunny rabbits)

Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Re: 2 Great Read for Animal Lovers! Educational at the same time!

Two very classic books, DeadlyShadows. I remember reading both of them. Maybe I should read them again!

"Animal Farm" is actually a political allegory, rather than (as it initially might seem) a story about animals throwing off the yoke of humans. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_Farm
    and
    http://www.k-1.com/Orwell/site/work/...ies/animf.html for a full explanation.

Even if it were taken just as a story, the subsequent developments are unpleasant and would not show animals in a very good light. But reality, fortunately, is far from that shown in the novel. Animals do not need politics and do not have personality cults, power struggles or purges. They just live as nature intended. How wise of them! :D Now that we could learn from them....

But I'm glad that you started this thread, DeadlyShadows. I must confess that I've never read "Watership Down". I must find the time to do that. Has anyone else got any good animal books they would like to mention?
    Last edited by LPC; 05-14-2015 at 02:07 AM.

Blog Entries

True, Animal Farm was a bit much for me, I remember, at the time. We read it when I was at school. Truly, animals don't think like that at all.

I enjoyed "A Big Little Life", (A memoir of a joyful dog) by Dean Koontz. I always liked Dean Koontz's writing style, and the memoir of his beloved Golden Retriever Trixie, is a pleasure to read from the first page to the last.

Another book I thoroughly enjoyed is a bit darker however: "Dog Boy" by Eva Hornung. This tale of an abandoned young child in the urban outskirts of Moscow, and his deep friendship with stray dogs, is probably based on a true story. It is a beautifully-written book, and completely absorbing. The writer, in my opinion, manages to get right to the heart of the deep love and loyalty a dog has towards its loved one. It moved me greatly in places. But beware, because it is not all a sweet tale by any means. I cried at the end.

So I'm thinking this all through... in the movie "Chicken Run" are you telling me the chickens were not actually plotting? And that they don't have a set of teeth? Sorry I took a serious thread and downgraded it to Warped Humor.... I still laughed at the movie out loud....

www.cowfice.com

I must be one of the few people who haven't seen the film, although I love Nick Park (of Wallace and Grommit fame). For those rare people who haven't seen the film (which was widely acclaimed), see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Run

Blog Entries

I have recently finished reading "Tails of Triumph" by Terri Steuben (animal communicator.) Terri volunteers to go on the front lines with Humane Society US to assist the animal rescues after hurricane Katrina. Terri has a special gift of being able to 'hear' telepathically, what animals are saying, and this makes the book funny in places, but mainly very poignant.
    These brave and intelligent creatures have hung on -many of them for weeks -waiting for help to come. Almost all were very grateful when it eventually did.....except a grumpy cat who was quite happy where he was thank you very much! (dry, with food, and on the second floor out of the water.)
    He said a definite NO! to rescue....but was rescued anyway. (Best plan mate!)

The book really brought to me the reality of the situation in New Orleans after Katrina, and the dedication of those people who gave everything they had to help and save animals.
    Last edited by Tobi; 09-01-2015 at 05:25 PM.