Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Are Black Animals less likely to be adopted?

Puppy Prejudice

It’s a common story animal welfare workers will share: Black pets are often the last left on the shelter floor and the first to be euthanized. The idea is so pervasive there’s even a name for it — black dog syndrome.

“It’s not news to people who have been in animal welfare for a while that black cats and dogs are a little harder to place,” Brenda Barnette of Los Angeles Animal Services told TODAY.com. “I think it’s for the very simple reason that they’re harder to photograph.”

http://www.today.com/pets/puppy-prej...ted-4B11204642

Re: Are Black Animals less likely to be adopted?

Then the shelters should improve the background to contrast their color and show their true beauty.

Re: Are Black Animals less likely to be adopted?

That makes me glad we adopted Gracie from a shelter as a pup! As you can see by my Gracie she is all black and very beautiful. Since she is almost 10 years old she is starting to get some grey though.