Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Japanese quail

Japanese quail

Hello!

I have decided to buy 6 female Japanese quails. And because i don't have any experiences so far, i would like to ask you some questions. Do i need to buy a male too, is it recomended? I'm going to use their eggs only for food. How long do they live and how long they lay eggs? What is the best temperature for them and how much space do they need to feel fine in their environment. Is it ok to have them in wooden box, about 2m^3 big and isolated with styrofoam? This box would be in a wooden house, where the lower temperature is about 7C. How do i have to equip their box? Do they lay eggs in the winter too?

Thank you for your answers!
    Have a nice day!

Re: Japanese quail

You will find all you need to know here: http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...nese-quail.pdf

Hope that will help you and do return to let us know how you get on!
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    Animals have souls, too! Free support for anyone grieving the passing of a beloved pet
    Last edited by LPC; 09-15-2013 at 03:55 AM.

Thank you for the link! As soon as I prepare everything and buy quail I will let you know how we are doing!

Have a nice day!

Hello, yesterday i bought 12 quail (10 female and 2 male). Quail are usually kept in small cages, where they don't have much space and even floors are crooked, so the eggs can roll to the side. When I brought them home they seemed to be very happy, they started cleaning themselves with sawdust and jumping around, because they have much more space now then they had before. They are now 7 weeks old and today one of them laid its first egg :) . Quail are really cute.

And here are photos of them:

Name:  prepelica1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  43.4 KBName:  prepelica2.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  59.0 KB