Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My pekin duck is limping

Hello,

I have a problem. My 1 year old drake started limping a month ago. I first checked his leg and everything was normal, no injuries. He eats normally, he ran a lot after his friend (another drake), he is swimming... but when he is standing still he puts his weight on another leg. I took him to the vet 3 weeks ago and he gave him an antibiotic for 10 days and Metacam for 7 days. It wasn't helpful at all. He checked his throat, took his poo sample and he checked his weight and everything was normal. He also said that there were 4 other ducks with the same problem visiting vet a month ago and that they don't really know the reason for that. He gave them the same medication, but at most cases ducks stopped limping. He also said that all the further researches can cost up to 300, and they don't even know if that would help to solve the problem so i wanted to ask you first, if anybody knows what to do before i visit the vet again.

Thank you!

Re: My pekin duck is limping

Just take it back to the vet, on here we can not see the foot, see the results of the vets tests etc so noone on here could give you a true idea of what is wrong.
    I hope its ok though, my aylesbury duck limps, but that was due to an injury from years ago.

This is a problem which occurs quite frequently. There is a brief discussion here: http://www.callducks.net/problems.htm

Thank you for your answers. Is it possible that the duck has one leg just a little bit shorter then another and this is the reason for limping?

I suggest that you measure the legs if you suspect this. If the problem persists, then a vet visit seems necessary.