Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Possessive/Territorial

Hi...my household consists of me and an adorable, feisty two-year-old female Lhasa Apso. Since she hasn't given consent to reveal her name, I shall protect her anonymity - I'll refer to her as Gladys.

So, the other night, a couple of my friends were visiting. Gladys spends most of every weekday alone while I'm at work, and absolutely goes crazy when visitors stop by. After the initial frenzy of hysterically happy greeting was over, my friends and I were chatting and Gladys had retreated to the other side of the living room and was contentedly amusing herself with a favorite chew toy.

Then the phone rang, and while I was on the phone, one of the friends attempted to engage Gladys in play. Gladys saw this as an attempt to remove her chew toy and made every doggy sort of indication that this was not welcome -- ie., she growled, bared her teeth, etc. In spite of this, my friend persisted in attempting to get the toy away from her, which resulted in a couple of attempts on her part to bite his hand and made her upset enough to lose control of her bladder--but very little, which in my mind signifies that she was pretty stressed but still maintaining other elements of behavior training as best she could. My friend then informed me that I really should train her to not be "territorial", because she could potentially harm a young child. Leaving aside the obvious fact that my friend was being a jerk, and the fact that 99.9999999% of the time there are no young children in my home, I honestly don't know how to train Gladys not to be territorial about the few things that she thinks of as her own. I believe Gladys knows the difference between being baited and being engaged in play, but I don't want her to bite anyone, especially not someone who doesn't know the difference between the two.

Any thoughts?

I agree with you.
    Your friend is a total jerk.

So now that we agree on that, what I would do is to take her toys from her. YOU, not your friends or a kid obviously...but practice with her. If she respects you as alpha you personally should be able to take away food when she is eating, take away toys when she is playing and move her from her favorite resting spot while sleeping. If YOU can do all of these things, I would then suggest you have a friend come in and do the same, without baiting or teasing her. Simply remove the food/toy/bed.

If both of you can do this, try a third time. If all ok, I would say your dog is fine, your friend is a jerk and your dog should be commended for issuing him multiple warnings before snipping at him.

The urine is definitely a sign of extreme stress and frustration on your dogs part.

Keep us posted !

Possessive/Territorial

Thanks very much for the help--I was rather at a loss!

-Lando