Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Need advice from dog experts!

Quote Originally Posted by bhawk View Post
    Few points to make, firstly....go to dog training classes even before you have a dog, there are millions of people out there -well intentioned i will add- that have dogs they dont know how to train. Research operant conditioning in detail, until you can think of ingenious ways to make the dog do tricks you could never dream of. Shy away from certain pure breds (mainly show dogs) that have been bred beyond absurdity and have many hereditary illnesses (some breeds are just plain abuse, some cant even breath properly!) I would suggest not to get HPR dogs (Hunt.Point.Retrieve) many like english setters (especially the sharberry bloodline) and GSP's are very very hard headed stubborn dogs. While Alsations are good dogs they need to be handled firmly (not aggressively) they need to be lead, never let them become the leader. To be quite honest your best bet is normally a general old mongrel. Mongrels are rarely the product of puppy farming, have far less health problems in general (hip dysplasia comes to mind) and have as good a temperament as any. Always train the dog to allow anyone to handle its food even while its eating it, a possessive dog is a dangerous dog. A collie should not be on your list, they are VERY intelligent dogs and i have met only a handful of people who can make them reach their potential.
    Oh and remember, keep reading about training methods.....

Thats just a few tips that spring to mind
    Thanks man, advice taken! Im looking in to classes just now

I would suggest a Springer Spaniel or a German Shorthaired Pointer. I have a German Shorthaired Pointer myself and she is absolutely lovely, the best dog I have ever had. They are really active dogs but also really loyal. Springer Spaniels are also very active and need a lot of exercise. These are just a couple of suggestions but their is a huge variety of active dogs out there. Hope you find what you are looking for.

Beth :)

Based on the characteristics you are looking for in a dog, a German Shepherd would be a good choice. However, a Rhodesian Ridgeback or a Labrador would be a good choice as well.