Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Pet Loss and Grief Support

Am I crazy to hurt so much?

Intense grief over the loss of a pet is normal and natural. Don't let anyone tell you that it's silly, crazy, or overly sentimental to grieve!

During the years you spent with your pet (even if they were few), it became a significant and constant part of your life. It was a source of comfort and companionship, of unconditional love and acceptance, of fun and joy. So don't be surprised if you feel devastated by the loss of such a relationship.

People who don't understand the pet/owner bond may not understand your pain. All that matters, however, is how you feel. Don't let others dictate your feelings: They are valid, and may be extremely painful. But remember, you are not alone: Thousands of pet owners have gone through the same feelings.

What Can I Expect to Feel?

Different people experience grief in different ways. Besides your sorrow and loss, you may also experience the following emotions:

* Guilt may occur if you feel responsible for your pet's death-the "if only I had been more careful" syndrome. It is pointless and often erroneous to burden yourself with guilt for the accident or illness that claimed your pet's life, and only makes it more difficult to resolve your grief.

* Denial makes it difficult to accept that your pet is really gone. It's hard to imagine that your pet won't greet you when you come home, or that it doesn't need its evening meal. Some pet owners carry this to extremes, and fear their pet is still alive and suffering somewhere.
    Others find it hard to get a new pet for fear of being "disloyal" to the old.

* Anger may be directed at the illness that killed your pet, the driver of the speeding car, the veterinarian who "failed" to save its life. Sometimes it is justified, but when carried to extremes, it distracts you from the important task of resolving your grief.

* Depression is a natural consequence of grief, but can leave you powerless to cope with your feelings. Extreme depression robs you of motivation and energy, causing you to dwell upon your sorrow.
    Last edited by LPC; 10-02-2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Commercial links removed

Choosing pet urns...for remembering our pet for a long time period...A common material for cremation urns is ceramic....there are wooden,porcelain,glass and many more variety are available .....
    Last edited by LPC; 10-02-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Pet loss is really panic for those who love and take care of them. I have lost my very beautiful puppy somewhere and yet missing his naughty acts. Searching for another beautiful puppy but not getting up to now. is there anyone who can help me in this regard?

Anyone who has found his or her lost pet via advertisement? I know its the most effective manner but suggest me some effective platform for this

Re: Pet Loss and Grief Support

There are so many great products available to help pet owners. Pet urns, jewelry that will hold the ashes of your pet (which I have purchased from that company and they were awesome) , memorial rocks, etc. I have given a lot of pendants to pet owners as a grieving gift and I'll tell you what, I think it has really helped them. Do some research as there is a lot available on the market that's good quality and decent prices.
    Last edited by LPC; 10-02-2014 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed