Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

bitch bleeding for 2 1/2 weeks?

Hello everyone!

My Akita bitch has been bleeding for almost 2 1/2 weeks. It goes away then comes back. This morning we put the male in the kennel with her and she won't allow him to grasp her.

I'm wondering if it is normal for her to be bleeding this long and when is she supposed to allow him to mate?

Thanks!

Dogs heat cycles last a fairly long time and are only able to be empregnanted dueing a certain time of that heat, chances are she is either not ready yet, or the more likely, you missed the chance and she is coming out of it. The heats is relatively long at 5-7 days, while the estrus may last 4-13 days. With a diestrus of 7-10 days, a typical cycle lasts about 3 weeks. They bleed during this time, which will usually last from 7-13 days, depending on the size and maturity of the dog.

If your not sure of this information maybe it would be a good idea to not breed your dog. Breeding is a huge reasponsiblity and shouldn't be done just because your dog is cute or something on those lines. Your vet should be involved ever step of the way, or someone who has owned and reputably bred your breed of dog for a very long time. I'm not saying your not reputable, but the idea that you were not aware of this raises a bit of a red flag.

How long have you been breeding dogs? Akitas? How old is your bitch? Why are you breeding her? What titles is she carrying? And is she certified for elbows hips and other Akita pron desiases? These are just a few of the serious questions that not only should others be asking, but you should be asking yourself as well. Good luck and I hope everything goes well and that you are doing this for all the right reasons.

Heather
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Re: bitch bleeding for 2 1/2 weeks?

The way I learned of having dogs is they go in heat and stay in heat for roughly 2 weeks and the period you can mate them is between about 9-12 days after going in heat. My dog Tasha went in heat when she was young and she was in heat for 3 months so she had to get speayed due to her long period of being in heat. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Beth :)