Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Cub

Dog wont eat raw meat...

My dog will not eat raw meat. We try to feed him rabbit, but he wont eat it, just takes it far away and burries it... How can I get him to eat raw meat???

Some dogs just wont, espically if they're use to kibble or cooked meat . As a rottie breeder once said to me, its a lesson of tough love, keep offering it, but offer nothing else, when he gets hugnry enough, he'll eat it. Only put the food down for fifteen minutes in an controlled environment so he can't run off with it. Eventually he'll eat.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Cub
    So just give it to him and nothing else? But he is a Great Pyrenees\Maremma, so he is already skinny enough, skip feeding him for one day, and your afraid he's gonna die!! What now? Really, you can't skip feeding him for one day.

Dog's are actually designed to skip meals, they can go alot longer without food then we can, however you will find that he most likely wont go the full day without food, and if he does he'll very unlikely refuse the second day, when he gets hungry he will eat. The other option is to feed BARF instead of RAW. That is, you cook the meat your trying to feed him instead of giving it to him raw, its the same diet for the most part except its cooked, its more time consuming and you need to add a few things because it losses some of its nutritional value, but its basicly the same diet. Trust me, your dog wont die or disappear with one missed feeding, just cause he's lanky doesn't mean he's starving.

Cub
    The thing is, we are trying to feed him raw meat, because we are butchering our own animals, and our friends do the same, and they were telling us about grinding up, and feeding him the leftovers (head, fur, etc.). And so I was wondering how I could get him to eat raw meat.
    Just wondering are you a vet? Because it seems like it. :?:

LOL, oh gosh no, but its funny you should say that cause people keep telling me I should be and my in laws call me their vet, they call me before they call the vet. I just have 28 years of animal expericance, I have had abuse cases and health issues, and trained by some of the best equine trainers and dog handlers around here, I'm actually and Equine Science honnors student. However I have been in your position, where my dogs refused RAW. I went to my rottie breeder and asked them as that is what they feed exclusivly. He looked me in the eye and said simply, its tuff love, you offer them RAW and RAW only and when they get hungry, they will eat. They wont starve themselves its against their nature, and its in their nature to eat meat.

Some dogs simply wont eat freash meat, some will insist on it having sat for a day or two, it depends on the dog.

Thank you for the compliment and good luck.

Cub
    Thank you very much Celtechfarms for all of the information, I hope Pete starts eating raw.
    Thanks again!

Okay, here are a couple of the links here, you'll find more under this Care, Feed, Training topic board
    http://www.animalforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2056
    http://www.animalforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2177

Sorry it took so long, have a few things going on in my life here and I think I'm going cross eyed looking at all the stuff I've been having to look over recently. Hope it helps.

Heather

Cub
    Thank you sooooooooo much for the advice Celtechfarms,
    I really thank you; Pete is now eating raw, all thanks to you! :D

lol, thank you for the praise, but your the one who cared enough to switch him over and stuck to your guns on the feeding nothing but despite his not wanting it. Its hard sometime to watch our animals refuse what we know is good for them. We just want to give in to make them happy. I'm glad it all worked out for you!