Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Lifespan of a dog?

My dog is almost 10 years old but still acts hyper and can jump on the counter top from the floor. He can beat me in a race and in a tug of war. He's from Austraila and looks like a small german shepard.

The average life span of German Shepherds is 10 to 12 years. However, if the animal has been properly cared for chances are it will live much, much longer.

The average life span of a flat coated retreiver is almost 13 years and my best friend just lost hers.......he had just turned 22. So he nearly doubled the average life span for that breed.

We adopted a dog from a shelter a few years ago and they told us she was between 4 and 5 years old. After we got her we took her to the vet for a checkup and he said she was actually only 4 MONTHS old. Had we listed to the animal shelter we got her from we'd consider her 9 years old. But because of the vet we know she's actually only now 4 years old.

So it's possible that your dog either isn't near as old as you think it is or he's just been treated so proper since being with you that nothing can slow him down right now.

There are so many contributing factors in lifespan. Part is the breed, part is genectics and a huge factor is how the dog is raised.

I've had Great Danes that lived past 12 even though many don't make it past 7 years of age....and I've had smaller dogs live to 4 or 5 before they pasted and they are suppossed to have longer life spans.

All in all...everything in life (both animal and human) is complicated, tricky and full of things we don't understand.

So disregard whatever is said on lifespans and just be thrilled to death that your pup is still going strong. :)
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

well i believe it depends on the breed and lifestyle... :wink: