Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alaskan Malamute???

We got this dog in today that really has me baffled as to her breed.

She has the face shape of a Malamute (in my opinion). Only it's a lot smaller. I mean, her ears and her nose aren't quite as long as you'd see on a typical Mal. But she has extremely tiny teeth (and some molars are still coming in). I almost think she's a baby Mal--like 12 to 20 weeks tops.

But a few others say she's a giant Chow mix. And when you look at her, she almost does look somewhat like a Chow.....especially the long, ruffly thick coat.

But she's solid reddish-brown and has the most beautiful yellow eyes. Never seen a solid red Malamute but I've never seen yellow eyes on a Chow before. In fact, I've never seen yellow eyes in any dog other than a Mal or a wolf/wolf-hybrid. And she doesn't have any purple in her tongue at all--which is quite common to find in a Chow.

I'll see if I can get pics tomorrow. But she's just so pretty and it bugs the crap out of me that I can't say what breed she is without a doubt.

Anyway......anyone have a thought??

Pictures girl, lol, but who knows, maybe your right, maybe its a mal/wolf puppy.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

PICTURES!!!!!!! :)
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

Okay, I got as many pics as I could. She's really, really shy. I'm the only one she doesn't growl at though. Which pretty much sucks cause she may end up euthenized tomorrow because of it.

Anyway.......this is what they're calling a Chow mix. I guess I somewhat see the Chow but she has NO purple on her tongue, her teeth and her nails are SOO tiny and her paws are HUGE which makes me think she's just a puppy.

I have no idea. I googled to see dogs that have yellow eyes and malamutes are one of them, seemingly the most common, along with huskies. One of the things I saw mentioned was that yellow eyes are not necessarily indicators of wolf heritage. What does the tail look like?

She's very pretty, though.

Actually, yellow eyes have nothing to do with breed. I guess it's just natural with a red coat. I didn't know that before. I didn't mean they had to do with wolf-heritage. I was just saying I've never seen a dog with yellow eyes except a Mal or Wolf. But what I've read the last few days says the majority of red-coated dogs will have yellow eyes.

Anyway......not sure about the tail. Big and bushy is about all I can say. She trusts me enough to let me touch her head (briefly) but she won't come out of her cage so I haven't seen her in the open (the tail is almost always between the legs in dogs in small cages at shelters).

She's such a sweety though. I'm gonna see if there is an open kennel tomorrow I can move her to. Maybe she'll unwind if she's out of the crate.

My guess would be Mal Collie mix by the looks, definatly looks Mal though, but the distant photo looks collie to me. Wish I could help you out in getting her adopted, :( so need to build myself a kennel, except the people in rescue around here are a few apple short of a full barrel.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Never thought of Collie mix......I see it now though. Someone else said Mal and Australian Shepherd.

Sadly, she was euthenized this morning though. I'm gonna miss the little darling. I thought about adopting her but I'm the only one she didn't growl at and I didn't want to bring her home with my kids and other dogs and cats and have disaster strike. That would just have been unfair to everyone.

That's the way it goes though. :(

Aww... It's so sad to see that most of the time it has to go that way...

She probably was unhappy, though, so in a way, this might have been good for her... :?