Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What's missing from my cat's diet?

How can you tell what's missing from your cat's diet??

One of my cats feels this need to eat EVERYTHING. I feed Natural Balance cat food as well as salmon, tuna, white fish, beef, chicken and liver, kidney and heart. She loves it all and will walk in circles meowing at her dish if none of it is available.

But she still goes after everything else. I can't leave food on the stove or counter (like with dinner when I make plates, we sit down to eat but there's still some in the pan). She will jump on the stove and eat it out of the pan. Or this morning my daughter was getting a bowl of cereal. She poured the cereal in the bowl and then went and got the milk out of the fridge. And by the time she turned around, her cat was in the bowl eating the dry cereal!!!

I'm kind of getting tired of this but I don't know what else to offer the dang cat. She's not over weight by any means (and not under weight either--she's a very good, healthy cat). She's about a year and a half old now and is an inside/outside cat.

This isn't anything new either--this has been going on for a long time so I know it's not a case of worms making her hungry and wanting to eat everything.

Any ideas?

Learned behaviour? Or maybe lacking in certain minerals. I know horses will eat dirt if they're not getting enough minerals in their dite.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I hear what you're saying and I think you're right. But how do you figure out which minerals are missing? Or maybe does she just really like the salty flavor? I mean, come on, she was eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch this morning!!! I just can't think of anything else to give her--she gets a ton of meat, you'd think that'd be everything possible.

Just seems so weird to me.

Is it safe to add a little salt to her dite? We do it with horses all the time, maybe thats what she is missing.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I'm guessing your cat is just badly trained(no offense or anything...) or naughty. Most cats will love going after food, but you might want to think about finding a way to stop your cat from going there, or grounding him whenever he eats something he shouldn't.

Try taking her to the vet to make sure she does not have worms or a parasite that is eating all of her nutrients. Then maybe try a nutritional supplement. I give my little guys Dr. Harvey's Health and Shine once a day and it helps with keeping them healthy.