Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dog had puppies last night

I wish my camera wasn't broken, I'll have to see if I can barrow one. But my foster dog had puppies last night and I kid you not two of them are black and white striped. They are solid white with small black stripes from top to bottom like a zebra. I've never seen anything like it before. It's so cute!!!

Oh you so need to send photos of that!!!
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Well, official count is 10. She had 8 boys and 2 girls but two (boys) were still born. I tried to revive one for a few minutes and then the second one was born and she cleaned off it's face and then pushed it out of the box--chord, placenta and all. So I stopped trying on the one and didn't even try at all on the other one. Mother Nature knows best and if mom knew to push it away she knew something was wrong with it. Sad, but true.

Anyway....so we have 5 solid black ones, 1 that is solid black with white socks, 1 that is solid white with gray streaks and 1 that is solid white with black streaks. I hope they don't change too much in color so when they get a little bigger I can get good pictures. It's absolutely wild. The one with black stripes has three very defined black ones on the top of her head that go from forhead down to the base of her neck. Almost looks like spiked hair. It's adorable.

Not sure what mom is......I'm guessing a terrier mix of some sort. Daddy may have been a White English. It's so hard to tell on 12 hour old pups what breed they are. lol

Definatly need to get a camera girl. It seems in my experiance the first pup often dies, its said but seems to be the reality, when our old dog had pups when I was a kid, she had nine, but only eight survived, the first was still born.

It's rare that all the pups are born alive to my fosters. I usually get them a day to a week before they pop. Normally the first 5 weeks of their pregnancy is spent running around the city; they've gotten no care and improper food (usually digging through garbage cans). Or like this girl who spent 4 weeks roaming free, 2 weeks in a shelter and then was here for not quite a week when she popped. So by the time she got here she had worms and kennel cough.

Anyway, long story short I've come to expect one or two dead pups. Earlier this year I lost every single one of them....but she had 17 pups (I kid you not!!!). The first one was still born, the second and third were deformed majorly and the rest died suddenly one after the other in the first 10 days. They sent one off for a necropsy and the vet said it was herpes and we couldn't have done anything. So the shelter opted to euthenize her.

Anyway--gotta give them a quick check make sure all is well. They are so quiet though so mom must have plenty of milk. Gotta make sure though.

I'm a little disappointed with how much the white pups have changed already. I had hoped they'd keep the black highlights. But they are still adorable. I did get pics today but they aren't great. You guys wanna guess on mom and what daddy might have been???

Look at the tip of this one's ear.....it's still got the black outline.

This is the other white one that had the really defined black highlights. He's not so dark anymore, now it's more of a dirty look.

Look at the black one in front on the left of the pic.....he's got a small pin-head bit of white at the tip of his ear and half of his nose is white. Otherwise he's pitch black.

I see definate border collie, maybe lab mix, you know the puppy thing, but with thouse colors, lab maybe was the dad?

I had thought about Border Collie but mom isn't all that big. She's only about 24 inches long and maybe stands about 18 inches high. She's just slightly larger than a Jack Russell. She's really a small dog (at least what's a small dog in my house). Which doesn't necessarily mean anything--she's obviously a mutt and her parents were probably mutts too. Agh......who knows. hehe They're my babies for another 5 weeks whatever they may be.

Well that would work too with that head, Jack Russle, Border Collie mix.

I'm not sure what the dad could be, but I know that their adorable! :lol:

And I noticed your feeding your dog purina dog chow, did you know that's really bad for their theet? Maybe you should brush your dog's theet sometimes, if you don't already. :? Also, I'm not sure if it was a specific kind of it that was bad for their theet, so this might not be true. :wink: