Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What breed is your dog??

What kind of dog is that?! Mutt owners are quite accustomed to the frequent guessing of their dog's breed composition. It can be fun to imagine what breeds are in a mixed breed's family tree. However, for many families with a "Heinz 57" dog, truly knowing their canine companion's history would be very satisfying. Thanks to DNA testing technology, this is now an easy question to answer.

MetaMorphix, INC. Genomics has developed a test called the Canine Heritage Test which can genetically reveal the breed composition of your mixed breed dog at any age. This exciting advance in technology will allow mixed breed owners to learn more about their dog's health, behavior, and family history. For those who own a mysterious, loveable mix and want more dogs like him, this test can help in the search for similar dogs.

How Can You Test Your Dog?

For $65 plus $6.95 shipping and handling, you can order a test from the company's website, www(dot)canineheritage.com. In three to seven days, the test will arrive at your home. Without pain or the help of a veterinary professional, you collect the DNA sample in the comfort of your home.

You will receive a soft-bristled brush which you rub on the inside of your dog's cheek to collect cells. There is video footage of this procedure on the website. You will also receive written cell collection instructions with the test. The swab is simply mailed back to MetaMorphix in a pre-paid envelope, and results will be returned in four to six weeks.

Results

The company has genetically identified and certified 38 common, canine breeds. If any of these validated breeds are present in the composition of your mixed breed, they will be listed in one of three categories: "primary, secondary, and in-the-mix". Primary breeds make up 50% or more of the dog, secondary breeds are easily recognizable but not part of the majority, and breeds "in the mix" are present at a very low but measurable percentage.

Perhaps the only con of this exciting scientific development, if your dog has DNA of a breed that is not yet validated, it will not be listed. However, MetaMorphix's compilation of validated breeds is quite extensive and covers most breeds commonly found in mixes.

The results will be printed on a frame-quality "Certificate of Breed Analysis". This certificate can also include a picture of your dog if you email MetaMorphix a digital photo in .jpeg format. Visit the website for complete instructions on emailing a photo.

Validated Breeds

The 38 validated breeds are the following:

1. Afghan Hound
    2. Akita
    3. Basenji
    4. Basset Hound
    5. Beagle
    6. Belgian Tervuren
    7. Bernese Mountain Dog
    8. Border Collie
    9. Borzoi
    10. Boxer
    11. Bulldog
    12. Chihuahua
    13. Chinese Shar-Pei
    14. Chow Chow
    15. Cocker Spaniel
    16. Collie
    17. Dachshund
    18. Doberman Pinscher
    19. English Setter
    20. German Shepherd
    21. German Shorthaired Pointer
    22. Golden Retriever
    23. Greyhounds
    24. Italian Greyhound
    25. Labrador Retriever
    26. Mastiff
    27. Miniature Schnauzer
    28. Poodle
    29. Pug
    30. Rottweiler
    31. Saluki
    32. Samoyed
    33. Shetland Sheepdog
    34. Shih-Tzu
    35. Siberian Husky
    36. St. Bernard
    37. Whippet
    38. Yorkshire Terrier

MetaMorphix expects to expand this list in the future as they genetically certify more breeds.

In the News

The Canine Heritage Test was recently featured on the Today show when host, Meredith Vieira tested her mixed breed, Jasper. She purchased him from a pet store believing he was an Aussie-Poo, or Australian Shepherd, Poodle mix. She discovered that Jasper is actually a Collie, Shetland Sheepdog, and Borzoi mix. (Note: Because the Australian Shepherd is not in the list of validated breeds, it is still possible that Jasper is part "Aussie".)

With the increasing popularity of “designer” dogs, this DNA test will surely continue to be an exciting phenomenon for mixed breed lovers everywhere.
    Last edited by LPC; 11-16-2018 at 11:19 AM.

Thats Awsome if its the truth, I know a few people who would love this capability, but I'm kind of relieved that none of the bull terrier breeds are in there yet, just one more thing the Ontario Government would be able to use against its citizens.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I would do it but I know two of my dogs have Malamute in them. And I think one might be pure Mal (the shelter we got her from said she was a Siberian Husky but I've never heard of a 140 lb Husky). So it'd be interesting to see what a DNA test says.

Maybe this will stop those designer breeds from being so profitable, as I feel most actually rip people off by passing that breed off as a legitimate breed, then charge a ridiculous fee. It's very interesting and I like it. It seems to happen often enough that someone gets a dog from a shelter that was mis-categorized.

Yeah and I wonder if that'd help with home owners insurance too. A lot of mixed breeds look like a breed they really aren't. So with papers to prove it's "this" breed and not "that" one, maybe some of these people can get insurance.

Mine are Eng Bull Terriers, and I know that there is Dalmatian in their genes along with several other breeds.... it would be intresting to find out exactly what went in to making the EBT we see today... lol

Re: What breed is your dog??

Do all of them count as Canis familiaris?

I am currently breeding Border collie. I love this dog because it is the smartest dog in the world. I often teach them flying throwing games. This breed is extremely intelligent and loves the owner. My favorite is the blue merle because of their magical beauty. You can see my love with border collie girl through the following picturesName:  Chú_chó_border_collie_thuần_chủng_màu_blue_merle__-_Dogily_Kennel_2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  60.7 KBName:  Chú_chó_border_collie_thuần_chủng_màu_blue_merle__-_Dogily_Kennel_3.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  72.9 KBName:  Chú_chó_border_collie_thuần_chủng_màu_blue_merle__-_Dogily_Kennel_5.jpg
Size:  65.2 KBName:  Chú_chó_border_collie_thuần_chủng_màu_blue_merle__-_Dogily_Kennel_6.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  56.7 KBName:  Chú_chó_border_collie_thuần_chủng_màu_blue_merle__-_Dogily_Kennel_7.jpg
Size:  89.5 KB
    You can see more about my dog here
    Dogily. My dog is family. My dog is not a pet.
    https://dogily.vn/

I think Chinese Shar-Pei.

I hope so. No one should make revenue off that.
    Look Elegant. Save Elephants. The Elegant Ellie.
    TheElegantEllie.com