Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Therapy Dog

Therapy Dog

Hey guys, if any of you run across any therapy dogs in your work, I have a friend looking to adopt a dog, she took a spinal injury and is looking for big dog, one able to help her get up, she can hardly move yet, pick things up on command, just do general helping as she gets back her mobility, she can walk, but she can't stoop to pick up food dishes or pick up droppings, stuff like that. She can't get a therapy dog either, its not covered in her health plan so shes kind of out of option except to hope to find a dog semi retired or on its way to retirment to come and live with her. And she is beyond awsome with pets. If anyone can help, let me know.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I don't know where you are but our Humane Society will "pick" one of their rescues and pay for therapy training like that. But we have someone near-by that specializes in that kind of training so they aren't really going out of their way for it. Maybe call your local HS and find out if they offer something similar? Or if you have a training-boarding place, maybe they'd be willing to help out some? Our training-boarding places charge like $200 to train for just about everything. So maybe she can "pick" a dog from the shelter and maybe take up donations or something to help cover the cost of specialized training at a local boarding facility???

I don't know--just some ideas.

We're in Nova Scotia, and out humane sociaties, in our case SPCA's are a laughing stock, not only do they not look after the dogs very well, but they don't do home checks, they adopt out stolen dogs, and they refuse to help people who ask for it, there is in no way, any help coming from them. They even go as far as to call a reported abuser, before coming out to see the supposidly abused animal, nothing like giving a person a chance to clean up first. :evil:

As for training areas, I'm afraid theres not much around, but you did just give me an idea, our local womens prison dose special dog training for people who qualify, I'll have to get her to look into that.

www.canadasguidetodogs.com has a bunch of info all through Canada on handlers and "stuff". Maybe there will be some more help there too.

Thanks, I sent that on to her, I'll let you know how it goes.

A therapy dog is a dog trained to provide affection and comfort to people in hospitals, retirement homes, nursing homes, schools, people with learning difficulties, and stressful.
    Tishawn45

They even go as far as to call a reported abuser, before coming out to see the supposidly abused animal, nothing like giving a person a chance to clean up first.

A therapy dog is a dog trained to provide affection and comfort to people in hospitals, retirement homes, nursing homes, schools, people with learning difficulties.