Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A silly question about shedding!

I see that Gugul has started shedding. She is 4 months now. She was dark golden before. Now i am able to see white, black and yellow in her. Assuming that she is a beagle mix, and she sheds every year,will her color also change every year? Or is she loosing her puppy fur and this color will be permanent. Thank you!

I have no clue what the answer to that question would be. :) But it isn't uncommon for puppies to shed their baby coats and the adult coat be a bit different.

I know Danes "blow" their coats when they are adolesants and then their shiny, sleek adult coat comes in. During blowing though, blacks will appear reddish or rusty. They sometimes get a "moth eaten" look about them (first time I saw this I freaked..lol) ...especailly fawns.

My Weimaraner who will be 6 in September changes color during the different seasons. In the winter he is a darker, mouse gray color and in the summer when he sheds his winter coat he's a light, silvery color.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

Abby was a very light cream colored puppy. Now she has definite tan colored markings on her back, shoulders, back of legs, ears, and face.

Thank you, countrychic 10 and ritabooker.

My dane is 8 months old and she has lost her puppy coat and on to big girl hair. Got to love the shedding!

Shedding for dogs is very common. even short coated breeds shed. my dauberman, she is 10 years old and short coated she shed every year, i can help her only by combing her coat with brush.