Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hectate's Legacy

Please forgive me for my lenghty post, but I wish honor the memory of my beloved little girl Hectate. She was my Norwegian Forest Cat. Her life started rough. She was born in a local town to a feral mother. At only a couple weeks of age, the mother was picked up by the humane society. The woman (hereby called Liza *not real name*), a friend of my mothers called them and said the kittens were left behind. The response was the kittens would be put down because they were over run with kittens. Well Liza promptly hung up, rang out and from there on, nursed the babies herself. Four babies, every two hours. At six weeks, my soon to be baby was given to another women with a tempermental dog. Starved and harassed the kitten to the point of near death by starvation and dehydration. Liza took the kitten back, and called my mother asking if I wanted a kitten still. From the moment I met the starved, unable to walk kitten, I was in love. From there on in, she was called Hectate after a greek goddess, I believe a demi-goddess of the Underworld actually. I was her mom for nearly six years, when she was diagnosed with FIP. It began with extreme diarrhea, sudden weight loss, loss of appetite, fever, fluid build up in her abdomen....and after only two months of fighting with antibiotics, sterioids, appetite stimulants, every vitemin I could find....it was finally time to say goodbye. She was diagnosed in November, and was put to sleep the first of January. I could not let her pass at home for she would have very, very slowly suffocated to death as the fluid filled her abdomen. I wanted her to have some dignity left. She was scrawny, and her head shook as she held it up from weakness, but at least she could still walk. She weighed only 6 lbs from her normal weight of 16 lbs, all muscle and fur. That was last year. Her ashes grace my wall in a special shadow box with her tags, harness, leash, her favorite toys and some pictures. I wish I could say it doesn't hurt so much, but she wasn't just my cat. She was my baby girl, and I miss her so much. Perhaps one day, there will be a cure for this deadly disease.
    Everything tastes better with cat hair in it.
    A house is not a home without a cat.

Thats such a fitting name for one that's been on the darker side of life. Hecate is a maiden,mother, and crone goddess. She represents birth, death and life.

I'm very sorry your kitten had such a rough life. If she was anything like Hecate she was a very spirited kitten.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Sorry you lost your girl. You did the right thing by her. She knows how much you love her.

Its so bad news that you lost your girl. I m so sorry for your loss. I know you are in critical situation and miss your girl. I also know you loved her very much. Pets are like our family members and our best friends.
    We can't forget our loved pets. I lost my dog last month and I also cried for him. I really miss him.
    Some pets have different behavior that why we miss them. Some are doing all work and very punctual. So we miss their habits.
    I pray to God for you.
    May God Bless you.

The response was the kittens would be put down because they were over run with kittens. Well Liza promptly hung up, rang out and from there on, nursed the babies herself. Four babies, every two hours.
    Last edited by LPC; 01-22-2017 at 12:38 PM.
    brutus954