Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: training puppy

training puppy

I have adopted a puppy (shep mix) last Saturday :D . She was never alone from then. But i have to go out tomorrow for few hours. Any help on how to train her to be alone?
    Thanks!

Many people put their dogs in a kennel when they leave the house if they are the type to chew things when they're gone. But it has to be a large enough kennel so the puppy can lay down, get up and move around a bit, maybe with a blanket or two. Someone's dog I babysat for would face the kennel towards the t.v. so the dog could watch it and the noise would comfort it a bit. :)

Do you have a watch with a second hand, I found with my puppies a blanket with the smell of mom, a stuffed dog, with a watch with a second hand around its neck, were all the comfort they needed. Every pup is going to take some time getting use to being alone, but stuff like that can help. I definatly agree with the T.V. thing, but no food or water, cause then your going to have a puppy who needs to go, but can't cause shes in her kennel all alone , and then if she makes a mess she wont be able to escape it. And deffinatly kennel it, otherwise puppy could get into things not good for you or her.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

Welcome to the forum. The previous posters are giving good info.
    If you want to read in more detail, here is an article on crate training:

http://perfectpaws.com/crt.html

Thanks for adopting a puppy. There are so many who need homes.

Thank you, Arazante. I will see that her crate is turned towards the television.
    Thank you, celtechfarms. I do not have a second hand watch but i do have a toy puppy.
    Thank you, ritabooker. Your link about crate training is very useful.

I am having funtime with my puppy :D .
    Thank you, all.