Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please Help Us Understand What Happened to Our Dog

Our Loso Opso, 5 years old, went for a ride with my wife this weekend, short trip downtown. He threw-up in the car, and we thought maybe he just got car sick. He was kind of moving slowly the rest of the day, not looking too good. He would continue to "try" and vomit thoughout the day, but only a very little bit of white foamy stuff would come out, no more than a silver dollar's worth. About five hours later I noticed "hey, he's really not looking good and acting odd". My wife took him outside for some fresh air and a minute later I noticed he was looking hunched up a bit and dragging is back legs, his back legs were as stiff as a board. She put him in her lap and tried to relax him as he started to kind of kick and wimper. Then, which was really alarming, he looked straight up in the air, to the point where his head was so far back he was almost touching his back, and he stayed like that. Soon he started to kick violently and cry out. He would move his head back to a more normal position from time to time, but only briefly, then back to straight up and back. We took him in the house and I called the vet, this was about 1am Sunday morning. I found out there's no emergency vet on call in our town, the nearest town that does is one hour away. We decided he was in too much pain and had to do something. We loaded him up, my wife drove, and I held him. He was still kicking, with his head up, wimpering, and letting out an occasional terrible cry, it was awful. His heart was racing and I knew the little guy's heart wasn't going to hold up under that stress. 20 minutes down the road he started to calm down, I was hoping he'd passed whatever it was he'd gotten into, maybe bird bones, or a rabbit bones. He was always killing birds and rabbits, or trying. My impression was that he had a bone stuck sideways in his intestines maybe, but I just don't know. Then his heart slowed, and he'd died right there in my arms. We were and are devistated. The pain he went through was horrible. The next morning, my wife and I walked our property and found some bird feathers, maybe he ate a bad bird? We're not sure because we also have cats that live outside and hunt the birds too. From what I've described, does anyone know what might have happened? Coincidentaly, he died the same day we were expecting and received our newest member, a Chiwawa. He couldn't have come a moment sooner, but we dont' want the same happening to him. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help,

I would suggest an autopsy from your vet, but it sounds a lot like antifreeze poisoning to me, or just about any kind of poisoning to that extrem. It sounds like he was going through the sezisures associated with poisoning. Did you have windshield washer fluid in your car that he may have gotten into? It only takes a teaspoon tp kill your dog, he could have licked it from the side of the bottle. I'm so sorry to hear about your lose, maybe this will promote your vet to instate an emergency vet.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

It is becoming pretty apparent he was poisoned by something. I checked on some of the plant life on our property and found that the Oleander bushes we have can be deadly. My wife said she did find some grassy type material in his vomit when she cleaned the car up when he frst got sick. Although some of his symptoms don't totally match up with the discription I read on Oleander poisoning.

There were no other chemicals around, such as anit-freeze, or anything else that we could find.

I am so sorry for your loss and what your little guy went through.
    I agree with Celtech...an autopsy, since you have a new dog. Besides, it will put your mind at ease. Hugs to you and your wife. We all do the best we can, but we can't protect them from everything.

I agree it sounds like a typical seizures from posioning; which could have been from anything. remember not all animals will react the same way. so what you found as 'typical' don't necessarily mean that's the way it is for every single animal. but anything could have posioned him--bad kibble, the poisionis leaves, antifreeze (which he could have licked up off the ground from a car parked somewhere along the road with a leak--it doesn't take much and he could have injested all there was so no you wouldn't find any on the road). remember other posions to--chocolate, raisons, mushrooms, tylenol, other human otc products (even ones 'safe' for a dog, an overdose is toxic nonetheless). If he ate a bird he could have swollowed something sharp (beak, foot, etc) and when he vomitted even though it didn't come out it could have come up enough into the eshaphogus and punctured a lung. the possibilities are endless. i agree a necropsy would put your mind at ease.

i'm so sorry for your loss!!!

OMG. :(( I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. Did you by any chance have the vet do a necropsy on your dog? That would be the only way to truly figure out what went wrong...but I do agree with the previous posters that is sounds like a poisioning of some sort.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

i'm so sorry this has happened its a terrible thing to happen.
    although i do definatly agree with the others about his fitting which is bad enough on its own but until you have a postmortem on him you wont know for sure what caused it.
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

Last night, I spoke with my wife about what I've read online, and about everyone here's feedback (thanks for that) and something occured to us. This is terrible, and I'm hurt we didn't think of this earlier, perhaps we could have saved him. We realized our 8 year old boy was helping his mom clean the kitchen floor that morning. He was spraying some kind of Clorox floor cleaner all around the floor trying to help her out. When we remembered this, it all became very clear what happened. He must have sprayed it in the dog food by accident, which sits on the kitchen floor. When I realized this, I was certain, that's exactly what killed him, it makes sense. It makes the situation that much sadder. Of course we can never let our son know this, it hurts too much already. The poor guy already cried his eyes out the morning he found out his buddy died. Life can be so tough sometimes, but we have to live and learn I guess. Our beautiful dog will be forever missed.

I don't know. Clorox has a VERY strong smell. I think it would be doubtful that a dog woul deat food that had been sprayed with it. The smell would have driven him away I think.

I had my doubts that a dog would eat food with bleach on it, too. Kerri makes a good point.