Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

staffordshire bull terriers

we just seen one of these at the dogs rescue centre, he was white with some black markings coming through like a dalmation,she was lovly,are these nice dogs,she had a lovly temperment.whats there lifespan and care?

Phil2 I think you need to stop and look at your life and what kind of dog would best fit it. Start by evaluating yourself. Are you active, what kind f home do you own. What kind of care are you willing to give, grooming and activity wise. What kind of home you live in. Then research, research, research. AmStaffs are highly active big strong dogs that need activity to keep them happy. Life span depends on care, normal 13 to 17 years old. Most people think of them as pittbulls, but they are not. They are not a good dog for someone who does not know what they are doing.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

I agree with Celtech. :) It's not about finding a dog...it's about evaluating your life and abilities and then chooseing a dog that would fit best into it.

Here's a few questions...

1. What size dog are you looking for? Large, Medium, Small?? How much space do you have for a dog?

2. How much time can you give for grooming? If need be, can you have the dog taken in for professional grooming and clipping (as some breeds require this)Do you prefer longer coats or shorter, low maintence coats?

3. Exactly how much time per day can you devote to excercise? What type of activities will you be able to provide your dog?

4. Do you have the option of professional obedienace classes for your dog? If not what is your level of experience training a dog?

5. What types of dogs have you owned in the past and were you their primary care giver?

6. How much time per day can you devot to working with your dog? Meaning how much time can you devote to properly socializing this animal and training him?

7. Are there other pets in the home such as cats or other small animals?? This is something to take into consideration as some breeds of dog have a natural strong prey drive and may not fit in well with smaller pets.

If you wouldn't mind posting your answers to these questions it may help people on this board offer you some breed suggestions. There are some breeds that are very strong willed and definately not for the novice dog owner.

As to your orignal question...I think Staffies are great dogs...but they are a very powerful, very strong willed dog & some have a high prey drive. Overall these dogs could be a handful for people not experienced enough to properly handle them.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

1.medium

2. smaller coats

3. upto 2 hours

4. staffs dont need that really taking classes on dog.

5. dalmation,couldnt of had a better life

6.aslong as he needs

7. only hamster,which the dog will not come into contact with.fish and gecko but he wont see them.

bieleve me this dog is brill towaRDS everyone and she said nicee to other dogs.

please dont take offence phil. what i would suggest to you now is that you go and meet this little guy and take him out for a few walks but discuss adopting him away from those appealing brown eyes :)

whether this dog needs it or not training classes are an excellent idea as the are very powerful dogs (even over a spottie) and the classes will give you better guidance over handling him.

ps was her name dotty? is so i've seen her too and was verrrryyy tempted
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

sorry about the text :oops: i only wanted it italics for one word :oops:
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

Staffs need a lot of reinforcement, and I mean a lot. This isn't just about taking them to one obedience class and you're done. They are good, but stubborn, dogs with energy and a lot of power. They are respectable dogs, and need that respect for you to be the dominant one. Because people just look at them at the shelter and think they are like any dog is what makes them home to bad owners and eventually get plastered in the news about attacking other dogs and children because their owners did not realize just how much work it required to have one.

If you do anyway, please, please ask the shelter managers of it's history. This breed of dog has to be the most mistreated and you may have a dog that's been used in bait fighting or abused by some young teenaged males that only wanted it for looks.

Regardless, here is a nice link about them you should read up on: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/stafford...ullterrier.htm

Honestly, I'd suggest something else. The Staffordshire Terrier is a not a novice owner's dog.

Also, there is the question of housing the dog. Will it be an inside dog, or will it be living outside. If it is living outside, do you have a fenced dog yard. Is this a breed that will be likely to be comfortable with the type of weather you have in your area?

How much experience do you have in dog handling? With a dog this big and powerful, you will need to be an experienced handler.
    "4. staffs dont need that really taking classes on dog." I was concerned that you would believe Staffs do not need classes. They need training just as all dogs need training.

no her name was rosie,

yes it will live inside.
    she said the history is god,we did meet her and take her for a walk,she kept looking back at us,she was lovly,she has a kennel cough but they said there treating that.

what you meen not good for the novice owner,in what way.we look after all dogs,a family and not scallys.

I think that this may be a bad choice for you. You might want to rather look into a lab or a ducktoller or a hound like a grey hound or a whippet. I think this dog is going to be too much for you and for what you are looking for. I would also go with a puppy in your case, or a dog from a rescue that can give you an indepth history of the dog and match you with the perfect dog for your situation. I don't care what type of dog it is, or weather it is already trained you need to take it to obediance class, for the dogs sake and for you to get to know the dog and establish the owner pet relationship.

Good luck with this and I hope you find what your looking for, just slow down and take your time, theres no need to rush into a choice you will regret later on.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.