Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hi Phil: Being a novice is not a bad thing...it is just a way to evaluate a person's level of expertise. A novice is someone who is not an expert.

We took Abby to Obedience classes, level One through Three, she passed her Canine Good Citizen test and after all that, we could have entered the classes to accomplish a Novice level of training. Even with our 38 yrs. of being dog owners, we did not take up the challenge of the Novice classes. My husband and I are "Beginner" dog handlers.

It's just that a Beginner or Novice level handler probably will not have the knowledge and experience to handle certain breeds.

Well I forgot to ask where the dog would be living. I just assumed inside dog since I personally do not own "outside" dogs. :oops: Glad to hear you plan on having an inside dog though.

Either way...ALL dogs from Pugs to Great Danes need obedience training in my book. I have taken several dogs to classes and even though I have a very firm understanding of how to do things, I still return to classes with my other dogs because of the socialization and interaction the dog recieves in class.

Now on the issue of the Staffie. Keep in mind that what you see in the shelter may not be what you have at home. In more cases than not, once dog's get settled in you tend to see a bit of different behaviours pop up. Some are good and some are not. I have gone to the pound and picked out a dog who walked well on a lead, followed all basic commands while at the shelter, but was the total opposite once she was taken out of that environment. I have also seen the complete opposite. The foster dane I have now was very unattentive, and seemed to not know any commands at the rescue group...once she got settled in here though I saw her true colors emerge and she is wonderful.

Yes, you are what would be called a novice dog owner. And no that is not a bad thing at all and I am in no way speaking badly of you. Powerful breeds (in mind as well as body) do not do well with the novice dog owner, and like the examples given by the previous posters, can cause issues if not handled by someone with the experience and knowledge of working with a breed such as this. If you do however decide to go with this particular dog, please get a DETAILED history on her, and locate a trainer BEFORE you bring her home. Even if she is well behaved you need to seek a professional who can help you with things like socialization in a safe and controlled environment. this will help both you and the dog and could very well help to prevent an accident in the future. Best of luck to you.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

yes we have decided not to get her,we will be looking at other dogs,
    possibly cross breed dogs.
    mongrels as there known here in the UK.

we want a medium dogs,not long haired,cute,family pet.

what about a spotty x?
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

yes any ideas,we are also thinking cats.but only if it was a indoor one,would it go in the garden if we went out with it would it stay in the garden,a female neuted one.

what about a springer spaniel.

springers are quick thinking gun dogs and so if you dont plan to work your dog in the field then you need to learn another disipline to keep his mind ticking over.

i know one who does very well in agility and will fly around the course and thats with two massive walks with her owners every day!!
    her mind is alwasy on the go and her eyes are bright and alert so you must be sure you can keep up with a springer.

theres north of england dalmatian welfare and as lovely as john terry is they dont usually help x bred spotties - british dalmatian welfare - forget it!! they wont help a dog unless its kc perfect (do you feel my venom about bdw?)

jan gent of all dalmatian rescue (notice the name) will help any breed of dog and very often has some lovely little darlings waiting for a home. both of my spotties came from jan and as a result i home check for jan.

she is on 01255 220 649 and runs all over the uk.

Springers are long haired dogs. Get the cat and just make sure you put her in a harness and leash her when you go outside with her. Otherwise she is bound to explore outside your property, I think a cat is the better way to go for you.
    The reason dogs are great is they wag their tails, not their tongues.

i think all cats should be supervised while outside. cat poo poses just as much a threat and a nuisance as dog poo.

either build a cattery - keep it indoors or walk it on a lead i say :(

i hate hate hate cat poo :evil:

they have very long hair

i think you should get a cat. or better yet, a goldfish