Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: mongrels

mongrels

does anyone know any good mongrel breeders in the north west of england,how much do they usually start off at,and why when i look for them no results come up.
    thanks

Mongrel breeders?? Are you referring to just a mix breed?? If so there are no ethical people who intentionally breed mix breed dogs. If you meet such a person stay very far away from them. You can find a wonderful mixed breed dog in any age category at various shelters, pounds and rescue groups.

Going through a rescue you not only get a wonderful companion, you save the life of a homeless dog and you do a wonderful deed to the dog community by NOT SUPPORTING the "breeders" who intentionally breed "mutts". I have had numerous rescue and shelter dogs..the majority were Danes but also had some mutts and they are wonderful. Not to mention it is quite rewarding to adopt from a rescue group and know that you saved the life of a dog who could have been possibly put to sleep because there was no home available.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

im just talking about normal mongrel dogs in the UK.

Well I'm in the USA...sorry but I think I'm just misunderstanding you. :oops:

Here a mongrel is just a mxed breed dog. Could be a specific cross of two different breeds, or a dog with numerous types of dogs mixed in there. Basically anything that isn't a purebred is generally refered to as a "mongrel", "mutt", "mixed breed", "heinz 57", ect ect ect

Regardless of what country your in though, I wouldn't think you would need to find a "breeder" for such a dog since you should be able to find them by the 100's in local rescues, shelters and pounds.

i would be happy to recommend some rescues to you phil. for starters i work for IRR www.irishretrieverrescue.com and all dalmatian rescue www.deafdal.co.uk where my own two spotties came from.
    both rescues will help other breeds and dal rescue (jan) will rehome from some of the uks major charities and so would be your best bet.
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

i think it's like country says, we don't understand what you are refering to when you say mongrel. a husky lab mix would be a mongrel. a poodle chihuahua mix would be a mongrel. a great dane chow mix would be a mongrel. a collie shepherd mix would be a mongrel. go to your local animal shelter and the majority of dogs you'll see are all going to be mongrels. a mongrel is two different breeds mixed into one dog. it's not a breed, it's a mixed-breed (aka a mongrel). you cant search for mongrel, because it's a slang term (not a real word).

You would have better luck trying to search for "Animal Shelters", "Dogs for adoption", "Animal rescues groups"...things of that nature. Like Dogmom said, just typing in "mongrel" won't do you any good. Try to locate rescue groups in your area, the majority of them will have numerous mixed breed and pure bred dogs available for adoption.

http://www.shelterhelper.co.uk/index.php
    here you are phil, this is a great site to start from. there are loads of us rescue bods who use it and its being updated by us all the time :)
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)