Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wanted to show off my beautiful Foster.

Hey everyone. I just wanted to share a bit of news and a picture with you. I have a new foster in the house! Would have shared the info sooner but I wanted to wait till I got a pic of her. :) She is such a sweetie and fit right in. Her name is Angel..she is a 4 year old Merlequin Great Dane who was taken into rescue after being seized from a puppymiller. She has a slight case of demodectic mange right now which were are treating so she should be cleared up soon. She is also completely deaf, but is very smart & adapts quickly so I think she will be just fine. As far as we know she has had 6 litters of puppies but is now spayed so she can just enjoy being a pet. I don't know how long she'll be here with me but so far she has been such a joy. She has a few behaviour issues that we are working on and we start basic obeidiance with her in 2 weeks so I'm pretty excited about that. :)

So far we have only had her for about 2 weeks but we are gradually switching her over to a better food (was on Pedigree large breed and were putting her on Canidea all life stages) and getting her accostumed to living in a house instead of in a kennel. Anywho here's Angel...just look at her pretty eyes...the pictures just don't do her justice. It blows my mind that someone didn't want her because she is soo sweet. Not to mention Brutus adores her. She's not as big as he is but Brutus is thrilled about having a playmate closer to his size. I'll try and get some more pics and post them when I can. :)
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

I am glad you found her, she is such a pretty girl.

Thanks. :) I think she's pretty. Has a problem with counter surfing though and is a bit unsure of the cat. This is my very first "official foster" through a rescue group. I have had other Danes that I picked up from kill shelters and kept them and found them homes but I applied to be a foster "parent" at our new ASPCA/Rescue the Animals and my application and home check cleared and now we have Angel. I'm surprised though because she has been in the rescue for about 2 months and they were unable to find anyone willing to foster her. I'm guessing it's just due to her size, but she definately lives up to her name and I hope I'm able to do good by her and she finds a wonderful forever home.

I spoke with the rescue in regards to feeding and they gave me the option to feed her RAW if I wanted to, but I thought it would be best to put her on a quality kibble instead. My main concern was that any potential adopters wouldn't want to continue raw feeding and I think she has been through enough as it is, so I would like to keep the chages to a minimum with her. lol Does that make any sense at all or am I just over thinking everything??

You should see her though. I started mixing a bit of the Canidea in with her old kibble and she tries to pick it out and eat around her old food. She likes it so much she thinks the kibble peices are treats. lol She's now up to about a half and half mixture and no issues so far, so I'm hoping by next week (when the bag of the old stuff is finished off) she'll be eating just her new food and won't have any issues.

It doesn't seem like you are overthinking it at all. When I read your post it was obvious to me why you made that choice. Angel is a lucky girl.

I am betting she won't have any issues with the Canidae.

It is so great that you are able to be so involved with the dogs needing homes in your area. You will find her a great forever home. And your perspective regarding her deafness will transfer to folks looking for a pet.
    You are concerned with her food and training and her handicap is not an issue. You will have a good result, finding her a home.

She's beautiful. I'd love to have a dane one day.
    Blessed Be

Salem Witch Child

Wow, gorgeous animal. Really gorgeous!
    Kudos to you for taking her in!

Thanks for the compliments. I think she's such a pretty lady and has such nice markings. I'm trying to get some more pics of her so you can see the rest of her because that pic just doesn't do her justice. :) Gosh..lol I shouldn't be but it so hard not to get really attached to her. She's just such a love bug...and good with the kids to boot.

Salem...warning...if you ever get a Dane, they become addictive. I just couldn't see my life without a Dane. Ya know..I find it funny but people think Danes cost so much more to own, but in general they don't really. If your feeding a high quality kibble (Canidea, Innova, CS ect ect) and adult Dane typically eats about 4 -6 cups per day. They don't require a lot of space as most people think....I have lived with hubby, one human baby and 2 Danes in a small apartment and never had any issues. As far as energy level they aren't very hyper (puppies of course are a bit more hyper till they mature) of course they need daily excercise but not near what a border collie or breed of that nature does.

But of course if they get sick it does cost more in vet bills due to size and amounts of medication needed and boarding cost if you ever need to go out of town typically run higher for the giant breeds.
    If you ever get to a point in your life that you want to add a Dane just send me a message and I can get you in contact with some great rescue groups. You wouldn't believe the amount of Danes that are currently in rescue...it's heartbreaking because they are often harder to place than the smaller breeds..

Anywho...sorry got to babbling again. :oops: As soon as I get some more pics of Angel I'll post them for everyone to see. :)

Her crisp blue eyes accent those light gray markings. Very lovely.