Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Sammy

Need Help!!! She won't stop jumping!!

Okay I am having a problem with my female rescue Weimaraner. Hope someone can offer some advice with this. Whenever I go to pick her up from doggy day care or if I'm comming home she will constantly jump up on me. It's very frustrating because she's so big and she scratches me up. I was told that every time she does this I should knee her in the chest. Well I have been doing that and it still isn't working!! I don't know if I didn't knee her hard enough or what..some people say you have to do it hard enough to knock the wind out of them, but I haven't ever done that....So should I do that and see if she finally quits or no???? I'm so frustrated with her and I hate that she does this. And it's not just me, she does it to EVERYONE!!! Thanks for any advice.

Why am I always the first to answer your post?? Seems like we always log on at the same times :D

Anywho, on to the problem. First of all your dog isn't jumping on you because she's being bad. She's only doing it to get closer to you and she wants your attention. You should NEVER knee your dog in the chest...especially deep chested breeds like Weimaraner's and Danes who are prone to all sorts of issues. And you should never have the objective to knee them so hard you knock the wind out of them. I would reccomend ignoring any further advice that this person has given you because they obviously have no knowledge on canine behaviour. Bullying a dog to make them do what you want is not the solution.

By kneeing her in the chest your not helping the issue what so ever, the only thing your showing her is when she wants your attention and affection she will get punished for seeking it out. And you can obviously see it hasn't worked at all because reguardless of what you do she will still seek your affection (dogs are so loyal aren't they?). Instead of punishing her you need to show her HOW to get your attention in an appropriate manner.

When we brought Blue home he had the same issue and here is how we handled it. When we would come in and he would try to jump up on us we would fold our arms across our chest, and turn and look away from him. If you have to turn several times, do so. You need to completely ignore her. After a little bit of this she should eventually give up and just stand or sit there. When she does immediately praise her (don't get excited or she'll get excited and start bounceing around again). With Blue we would kneel down so he could be close to our face and would love on him and give him treats for sitting an being calm. After some work with this they will understand that if they want your attention they have to be calm and jumping up on you will only cause you to ignore them. You MUST be consistant with this and NEVER allow her to jump up on you or anyone else (have everyone who comes in contact ignore her until she is calm so she knows that rule goes for all people), if you allow her to jump sometimes and make her stay down at others it will only confuse her.

Later on down the road when she has fully got this concept you can teach her an "up" command so if you ever want her to jump up on you she will know that she can do it when given the command. For Blue he has an "Up, Up" and we snap our fingers and he is allowed to jump up on us. Just be patient, consistant and remember it will take some time.

Also, since Blue was a rescue and had a couple of issues (lol thats an understatement!) we also practice the "NILIF" method of training in our house. It keeps things orderly and I never have to deal with those struggles when your dog thinks it's Alpha and starts to challenge your commands. So that may be something you might want to research a bit on and see if it would be for you.
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

Hi,

Yet again I agree fully with Countrychic. :D Re the person who advised you to kick your dog, this is such a widespread tactic & I liken it to punching someone who greets you with a hug. However, I agree with them so far as *if* you're going to use punishment it must be bad/hard enough to work & discourage future attempts. If(assuming you're doing it right, etc) it doesn't work, you're not punishing strongly enough. That's one of many reasons why I don't *generally* beleive in using punishment.

Also remember that in many situations, any attention is good attention(it's all relative), so the dog might prefer to be punished than ignored completely, so your reprimand/abuse might actually reinforce(strengthen) the behaviour rather than weaken it. Make sure you don't forget to give your dog lots of attention when he's being 'good', even when he's doing absolutely nothing. I'm reminded of a dog someone asked me to retrain recently because of it's frequent barking - turns out the dog was kept alone on a chain in the yard 24/7 & given virtually no attention except when he barked, when the owner would come out, yell & kick the dog! Unfortunately I failed with that dog, because I just couldn't retrain the owner! :cry:

With whatever the behaviour you're attempting to change, try to think of the motivation for it. Then you can find ways to make sure that behaviour doesn't work while you teach a conflicting behaviour that will have the same result for the dog - eg. she wants attention, so you teach her that sitting will work to get it for her.

There is virtually no need for punishment, because you are responsible for All That Is Good in your dog's life - just make good use of that fact!

Sammy
    LOL Countrychic! I don't know why you always answer first?? Maybe your on the computer too much?? :P

Thanks to everyone for the tips. I'll try this method and see how it goes. Just curious as to why the knee in the chest thing is so bad?? I have heard several people reccomend it, not just the day care attendant at the doggie daycare.....

Maybe I am online too often. :D Every since I finally got rid of dial up it's so much easier for me to log on and off for a few minutes thoughout the day so I just check the forum when I log on. :D

On the knee in the chest thing, my vet was the one who told me this was something that shouldn't ever be done. He said he had a client actually kill there dog by doing this. It was a smooth coated collie and when the owner lifted his knee the dog and decided to change his mind and back off and landed down hard on the knee that was already comming up...the owner managed to break a rib, which then punctured a lung and the damage was so bad that they didn't even get him to vet's office in time to help him. Very sad and definately not something worth risking in my opinion. Not to mention I do not believe in useing force like that on dogs and I have never and will never inflict pain on them in attempts to teach them.

Also...I would be very worried about who is watching your dogs during the day. If the people at doggie day care think this is acceptable to inflict pain on your dog you should make it VERY clear to them not to do that. Shame on them for even adviseing someone to do that! Their business is dogs and dog care so they should know better! I am a pretty mild tempered person, but I know for a fact if I saw someone who was a caretaker for my babies ever do something like that I would come unglued in a heartbeat!

Sammy
    The likely hood of breaking a rib seems pretty remote to me, but either way, that method wasn't working so I will try something else.

By the way what in the world is this "NILIF" training your talking about?????????????

nilif stand for nothing in life is free.
    this protocol means that you ask for a sit before a tickle behind the ears, a sit with maybe a leave or wait before dinner, a sit before lead on/of, a sit before in/out the car.

and the idea of a broken rib is not something to be disregarded , perhaps you have respect for the person who gave this advice but be assured the advice is wrong!

i take a step back as the dog jumps up and if he persists i turn slightly to the side saying 'off'

ensure that fuss is only given while your dog is in the sit and should that bottom leave the floor then the fuss must stop. it wont take long for him to get the idea.
    www.irishretrieverrescue.com
    all dalmatian rescue 01255 220 649 (uk)

Like Smiffy said..Nothing In Life Is Free. The concept is the dog is suppossed to do something before getting something. My dogs have to sit before meals, before going outside, before being allowed to get in or out of the car, before treats and toys..things of that nature. Most times I'm not really strict with this..mainly just required to sit or down before meals or going outside. But when I have had a little power struggle with Brutus (he was becomming a bit defiant) I buckled down on him and he wasn't allowed toys, treats, food, outside or play privlages or anything of that nature unless he obeyed a command before doing or getting something. It took about a week of the strict NILIF protocol before he got over his idea that he could be the top dog in the house. Now were back to the sitting before meals and before going out. I personally think this is a much better way to keep things in order vs. other methods I have seen such as forceing belly rolls and other foreceful tactics to make a dog submit. Not to mention it keeps them practiced up on baisc commands.

Sammy
    Wow! You don't think that's a bit extreme and a little harsh??? How would you like to have to do that sort of stuff?? I don't know if the NILIF method is for me..just seems mean.

What is "harsh or extreme" about asking a dog to perform a basic command like a sit or a down before doing something??

I am not a dog, I am a person and there is a vast difference between dogs and people. There is nothing wrong with letting my dogs know they don't run the house. Most especially when you have a dog the size of a Great Dane who could easily overpower me if i tried to force something on him.

So, by useing NILIF, I am able to keep my alpha position with the dogs without ever having to be cruel or use any sort of physical force on them. And like I said I am not strict on it unless we are having a defiant power struggle like I was with Brutus for a while there. It's not like they don't get fed or get to do things...they just don't get what they want until they are doing what I have asked of them. Since Brutus is VERY food motivated (especially on a venison or salmon meal day, lol) haveing him sit before a meal is no huge task at all. :D

Either way, if you think the method isn't for you, don't use it. It was only a suggestion. But it is no way cruel or harsh...unlike kneeing a dog in the chest or inflicting physical pain.

And yes..the chance of a broke rib is very likely and it can and does happen. especailly with the deep chested breeds, so please be careful.

One other thing that's sort of off topic......since you haven't had a Weimaraner before..you should read up on bloat and print up a sheet of the signs and symptoms. Weimaraners and Danes are 2 breeds VERY prone to bloat and gastric torsion and once it begins you only have a short window of time to get to a vet.