Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Training supplements?

I have recently seen a product advertised online which is for improving the focus of a dog in training. It contains Gotu Kola (Hydrocotyl Asiatica),
    Rosemary and Spirulina.

Anyone have any experience with this kind of product? Could it work?
    Is it safe? My google search says "yes" to both these questions, but am curious if anyone has had first hand experience, or even second-hand experience with a product like this.

Hi!! :) Would you be willing to give me the name of the product? Personally I have no experiance (and have never heard of anything like it to be honest :P) with products like these, but there is a woman in Brutus's puppy training classes who works at the Natural Food and Health Store in my area. She also raises and shows Irish Setters and I have heard many people speak of her and natural remedies she has assited people with for their pets. If you don't mind I could ask her if she knows anything about it and what her opinion is on the effectiveness of it. She may even have some information as to where we can find out more information about the product if she hasn't used it.

Sorry but that's about the best I can do for you. Wish I could offer some real advice.

And by the way Ritabooker, thanks for backing me up in a previous thread. :) It's nice not to be completly alone :D :D
    "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole." --Roger Caras

It is called Performance Plus. I have had no experience with anything like this, but it sounds good, so I had to investigate.

Thanks for helping me find out about this.

Your welcomed for the backup.

:D I have classes on Tuesday night so if I do not see Lisa sooner, I can definately ask her then. I am also going to email a friend of mine who is a Dane breeder and very knowledgeable in RAW diets and holistic medications and supplements. She is so smart and hasn't led me astray so far with any advice I have ever asked her. I will get back to you as soon as I find out anything that may be useful. :D

Heck if this is something legitimate, I may invest in it for Brutus. :D

Sooo sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this Rita. Sadly, I don't have much to offer you. I talked to Lisa and she said she has heard mixed reviews on it, but has never tried it personally. So, I talked to a trainer friend of mine and his response was "Do you believe there is a supplement that will help a person learn better or concentrate harder? If so then there's your answer. Personally I do not think so, so in my opinion I wouldn't waste the money"

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but the one good thing I did get from Lisa was she said there was nothing in it that would harm your dog & she asked that if you do try it, forward your results on to me so I can pass them on to her...if you don't mind that is :D

Hi Crystal ~ Thanks for checking into this for me. I am thinking at this point that I will not have Abby on these herbal supplements. It is good to know they cannot harm her if I change my mind, but I probably won't.

When I went back to college for an accounting course at the tender age of 56, I began taking lecithin twice a day, and it did improve my ability to concentrate and retain the information...that experience got me wondering about these supplements. These herbs are not really the same thing, though.

Whenever I have no first hand experience, I really appreciate input from others, so Thanks again. Abby is going to have to get through her classes without being in an altered state.

Hope Brutus is doing better.