Register

Welcome to Animal Forum. The Web's best online community for Pet and Animal Lovers.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Timid cat

Timid cat

I've revently adopted a cat.

The problem is that she is scared of everything, and yes I do mean everything. She is scared of my stuffed animals,bags rustling,she jumps at her own shadow, you get the idea. I really feel sorry for her.

I though that it was just a process of getting used to her new enviornment, but its been 3 months and still no change. I'm not looking for any extreme improvements, but are there any ideas someone can give me to help her to not be so scared of everything? I realize she is/will be timid, but that level of being scared, really can't be healthy.
    Everything not nailed down is a cat toy, everything else is a scratching post.

My friend in another state bought a cat from a breeder that was so shy and scared and it was actually withdrawn. She didn't even have the cat for six months and it had to be put to sleep in August this year as it had Felv. Please get a thorough vet checkup and blood work as you cannot rely on the prior owner/shelter/breeder to have gotten it, and my friend's sitaution left her completely heartbroken. She wondered why the cat was at a lowered price and now she has someone she knows investigating the breeder through the state. I hope things work out.

So she is so timid because she has FLIV?
    I got her from my mother in law, and she is/was strictly an indoor cat. I can leave the door open and she refuses to go outside.

I'm just wondering why she is so scared of everything, and if there is something I can do to help her not to be so afraid of everything.
    Everything not nailed down is a cat toy, everything else is a scratching post.

Hey there. I don't think its FLIV. My cat does that too.. always kinda scared of everything.

Give him some exercise
    Last edited by LPC; 09-30-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Re: Timid cat

what age is the cat? if it is still sort of a kitten, you can still get it used to all the stuff she is scared of. if she is older, it might take some time to do the same but eventually holding her and showing her it's ok will do the trick ;)
    Last edited by LPC; 09-30-2014 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Unrelated commercial link removed

Re: Timid cat

Welcome to the forum, Myrtle G. I think that your advice has come too late. The original post was in 2006!

I have removed your unrelated commercial link (nothing to do with animals). Please note that this is not allowed.